Here's what I do for Storm Recovery - since I've started doing it this way I have never failed one:
  1. Check that I have enough grout - 1,100
  2. Start the Storm Recovery
  3. Immediately build in PH the following:
    1. 9 Fertilizer
    2. 10 Small Dynamite
    3. 6 Medium Dynamite
    4. 5 Large Dynamite
    5. 20 Poison
    6. 16 Shovels
    7. 2 Taverns
    8. 4 Residences
    9. 2 Nobles
    10. 1 School
  4. While the above is building, go to adventure, get the 9 seeds COMPLETE THE COLLECTION QUEST, return
  5. Build the 9 seeds in PH, wait until complete (if under bara the whole thing should almost be finished)
  6. Return to adventure, place seeds, fertilizer, ALL EXPLOSIVES, and the 20 poison and 16 shovels. You can do this BEFORE completing the first quest!
  7. Complete the seed quest, and then the explosive quest is already complete, so finish that one, too
  8. Now gather the 11 of each item, COMPLETE THE COLLECTION QUEST, return to island and build the 11 stinky and 11 decomposer
  9. Return to adventure SLOWLY and wait for the "have all items" quest to be done, complete it.
  10. Double-check the quest, and that you have NO poison and shovels left!
  11. Apply the stinky and the decomposer & complete quest
  12. Build school (only one possible place)
  13. Build taverns (I build one to the "left" and one by itself in the middle)
  14. Build nobles (one near the school, one near the tavern)
  15. Build residences (near the top), complete quest
  16. Gather flowers, return to island, build station, return to adventure, win

The "COMPLETE THE COLLECTION QUEST" is important for me - it slows me down a bit, makes sure I have the items, and means that the popup of "quest completed" makes it easy to not skip the "don't use the stinky or decomposer yet" part. The key is that you can apply all the explosives and poison and shovels BEFORE the quest for those appear, and it still works fine.