Reply to Thread

Thread: Building grid

Recruit
    World
    Zeus

Building grid

I was reading the Dev blog on building spaces, here: Dev Blog: Building Spaces, and there's some useful information there.

I'd like to see a really clear map of the home island, showing the underlying grid as clearly as possible. The Dev Blog thread includes a screenshot style image of the light green available building spots we see when placing a building. Apart from being a bit fuzzy, without well defined edges, it also doesn't show some of the blocks to building that exist on the grid. Elsewhere (osettlers.com) I have found some really crystal clear grids, provided by users, though I am not 100% sure how accurate or up to date they are. A good one was written in Feb 2012 so is likely to be out of date.

Anyhow, here is an image showing the two styles of grid. At the top is a crop of an image from the dev blog thread listed above, second post; below is a crop from the map at osetters.com (Here's link to the full map) You have to click on it to see full size, I think.

tsolmaps.jpg

The second image, by fan (thanks TCarrcon), shows a really clear gid overlaid on an island screenshot, with some orange hat icons added to indicate vertex points in the grid which prevent a building.

I am not sure whether the second image really corresponds to the definitions of grid squares as described in the official dev blog, but it works as a way of seeing where buildings can go, really clearly.

Anyhow... here's my question. Is there anywhere an up to date display of the home island showing really clearly (with a nice crisp overlay) the building spots and blocking spots that would let me plan where I can layout my buildings?

Thanks for any pointers -- Wruined

World
    Zeus
    Heya Wruined,

Something I did to help me figure out building layouts was to build wells. It established a grid and gave me a needed resource at the same time.
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    I go to the test server. Demolish everything, and then play around.
    One army. Pretty please.

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    I got a lot of inspiration from Smurf's guide http://forum.thesettlersonline.com/t...ding-Placement . A lot of the images are broken and no archipelago, but there are some good ones still within the thread, in addition to the videos.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Thanks for the three helpful pointers. I'm going to try your idea of building wells. And that thread... I'd seen it before and lost it. I want to review the videos in there!

SweaterPuppies, test server? That sounds like something I should investigate. Off to see what it involves!

I am still looking for a map image as described above, but I am also going to use the other suggestions. Thanks -- Wruined.

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    As mentioned yesterday, most of the maps do not show the spaces after the mountains have been removed. Another thing the map you provided does not show is the gold mine in the lower portion of Sector 9, If the mine is built first you lose a spot near the gold mine. If you build a workhouse first and then build the gold mine you get a little extra space.

Reply to Thread