Reply to Thread

Thread: Flash to have End of Life, 2020.. What's next?

Settler
    World
    Ares

Flash to have End of Life, 2020.. What's next?

https://blogs.adobe.com/conversation...sh-update.html

Quote:
    Adobe is planning to end-of-life Flash. Specifically, we will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020 and encourage content creators to migrate any existing Flash content to these new open formats.

Last week Adobe posted this. What is Ubisoft/BlueByte working on, to continue the life of TSO after flash is gone?
    (Since this post from Adobe only came out last week, I am sure you don't have an answer yet, but I am sure others have this same question and looking forward to a response soon).

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinson001 View Post
    [...] What is Ubisoft/BlueByte working on, to continue the life of TSO after flash is gone?
    (Since this post from Adobe only came out last week, I am sure you don't have an answer yet, but I am sure others have this same question and looking forward to a response soon).
    This should be an interesting (and telling) response. Anyone, and everyone involved with any sort of web development knew the days of Flash were limited for some years now, Flash has greatly lived past it's expected lifespan. No post by Adobe was required for that, what was pending was the formal deadline being set; that being said, BB previously replied to this query last month:

https://forum.thesettlersonline.net/...ything-Answers

Question #17, states:
    Switching from Flash to HTML5 is not on the development roadmap. Going this way would require a a big effort on the development side and would drastically slow down the implementation of the new content, improvements, and bug fixes.
    Love to hear the direction of TSO for the next few years.
    “Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.”
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    We do not have any plans to make a TSO 2 or port TSO to HTML5 or mobile. Both are not feasible.

But we will keep on developing the game.

Have fun
    BB_Alex
    I didn't really care about what Apple or Google thought, although it was the start of the writing on the wall. I think eventually it has to break, and it either is worth it to make an alternative or just say goodbye. Regardless, Google will remove Flash entirely at the end of 2020 from Chrome, and they are not alone. As it is, it's probably going to be a headache for the next few years explaining to people how to make the plugin function. Even if they did plan to do a sequel, I don't think they would announce it more than a few months before closing the original down.

Veteran General
    World
    Zeus
    So they can either run flash like mad and go out in s blaze of glory, or we get no updates or new content whatsoever for the next 2 years ... Basically it's lose-lose.

Veteran General
    World
    Zeus
    Well they will need to decide very soon. If they aren't going to convert, they need to let the game go now. Developing any more would just be a waste of time and money for them, when they could move the development team to work on some new unrelated HTML5 game with a future. This game wasn't really designed as a "cash grab", unlike other games I've played, so they shouldn't try to milk us.

World
    Zeus
    We do not have any plans to make a TSO 2 or port TSO to HTML5 or mobile. Both are not feasible.

But we will keep on developing the game.

Have fun
    BB_Alex
    Wow. I think that says it all. Guess it may be time to look elsewhere. Sorry to see that, I like TSO.

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    I think we still have a few years yet, and they'll keep pushing out updates as long as it makes business sense to do. German userbase is hopefully preventing it from becoming another Anno for now. They said in another answer that they think most people will hit level 75 by 2020 as they add new content, so I imagine there's still some stuff to look forward to, even if it does ultimately turn into one last hurrah.

World
    Zeus
    I was saving a card just for that slippery 200% sale... but if game is going away, save it for something else, I guess.

World
    Ares
    Hello guys!

Please be informed that BB_Alex has recently provided more details to complement his previous post:

I agree, that my initial answer is not detailed enough to explain our goals properly. Here are some more details:

We are aware of the Adobe announcement and take this topic seriously. This specific announcement is related to the flash browser plugin. Right now we are looking into some options, such as Adobe AIR, for a possible alternative/workaround, if the flash plugin is getting removed/blocked from major browsers.

Have fun
    BB_Alex
    Thank you,

BB_Aeyline

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    Thanks. Hopefully something can be worked out.

Reply to Thread