Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chat police.

Settler
    World
    Ares

Chat police.

I thnk we are too strict on chat subject matter in trade and help. If someone is looking for a rt in help, we should allow that kind of chat. All this "go to your guild" is so tiring. Its like we are looking for ways to censure each other and pounce on the ppl who, sometimes innocently, sometimes not, dare to make a comment that is not strictly related to the chat window.
    For example, say someone asks why a ls is so expensive and someone says its becuase of the minis. then someone says the xp is the only thng you cant buy and someone else says that is the reason they are doing a particular map. then someone says that map is not the best for xp, you should use so ans so. and then there breaks out a discussion of maps and xp return.
    Someone is gonna say, take ti to global sure as shooting. But that makes me feel we are censured, controlled, and otherwise limited in our gamepaly.
    just saying.

Settler
    World
    Ares
    It's a community area, and as such, members of the community have differing concepts of how far off topic and for how long something goes on before the inevitable 'Take it to XXX' admonition is rolled out.

I tend to agree in concept, that we're too strict on off-topic chat, especially when the channels are often otherwise without any chat at all. Now, when off topic chat is interfering with channel-specific chat that's when I tend to agree that it's time to take the off-topic chat elsewhere.

Settler
    World
    Ares
    I agree with TBoneX, it is mainly an issue if chat is busy, but that is rarely an issue lately

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    I cannot speak for the MODs, but I tell people to go to their guild when they ask for a round trade in help to let them reflect on the life choices they made. I mean if your guild will not even do a round trade with you it is obvious you have made bad decisions.
    One army. Pretty please.

Settler
    World
    Ares
    Personally, I see no reason why folks can't go to G1, or whisper, if they want to engage in general chat. It's just a one inch mouse stroke and one click. Not too terribly onerous. If I want to trade then I stay in Trade. If I want random banter I go to G1. I really don't want to see Help or Trade turn into G1. Just my 2 cents.

Settler
    World
    Ares
    As a denizen of global ill be first to admit if im in G1 im quick to jump if people start asking for basic help that can and should be provided by their guilds. Its a pet peeve of mine as it is for many others. Seeing players come in from the guilds that heavily recruit or just snap up any player who shows up immediatly,and ask for help is just sad. You kind of feel bad for the player but as SP says they need to be made aware of the situation they have put themselves in.

Settler
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Pochucker View Post
    As a denizen of global ill be first to admit if im in G1 im quick to jump if people start asking for basic help that can and should be provided by their guilds. Its a pet peeve of mine as it is for many others. Seeing players come in from the guilds that heavily recruit or just snap up any player who shows up immediatly,and ask for help is just sad. You kind of feel bad for the player but as SP says they need to be made aware of the situation they have put themselves in.
    +1

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by SweaterPuppies View Post
    [...] I mean if your guild will not even do a round trade with you it is obvious you have made bad decisions.
    Completely agree with this point. Though, I do think some of the people being referred to here are petty as well. Some of the people are NOT in guilds and new; as such, there ought to be a small amount of compassion for them. If one is of the policy enforcement type, just inform the noob of the tabs, if that is too bothersome, then let someone else do it. I think we need to retain all the players that we can not bully and intimidate them on petty policies. Naturally, if they are abusers of such policies, that is what the MOD's are for.
    “Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.”
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Retired Community Leader
    World
    Ares
    It is difficult to tell from the original post where the problem is. The examples given seem to be appropriate, although I can see that if a discussion of adventures and mini's becomes prolonged, it doesn't belong in the trade channel. The "ask your guild" response is typically aimed players who join guilds that advertise themselves as being helpful (rare is the guild that says they are not), then turn to everyone except their guild to get basic game help. While it may be a different player each time, it is usually the same guild tags and there is no other way to put any social pressure to change the guild behavior.

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    I respectfully differ--hearing more help in Global makes it a lot more meaningful. I get mildly annoyed when players are told to "take it to help" or "take it to guild"...having said that, though, I do go to the help tab in the rare instance I want to ask for game guidance. I would like Global more, though, if it talked about the game. Just my personal opinion, and I can live with the rules and guidance they give us. I have blocked a few players that use global to voice their personal political opinions, tell offensive jokes, etc., and that has made it a more pleasant chat tab.

Reply to Thread