Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New players - Game Viability

Recruit
    World
    Zeus

New players - Game Viability

If I joined this game today.

I would join at level 1.

After a little time playing, I would learn what it takes to get to level 50 .

Getting to level 50 would be OK , Until the point, that I saw a guy on (MY LEVEL 74 Gazza1 Author)

At this stage my heart would sink, I thought I found a good game with a nice chat network!

What I would do at this stage was see what I have to do, to catch Gazza1!!!!!!

Yeah RIGHT! - I just joined this game BUT to be a "PLAYER" in this game?... "NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN"

I have a simple fix for this.

I call it GAME VIABILITY FOR NEW BLOOD

As the leading level player in my server - I would love it if a new player - was introduced to the game with a level (Maybe 10 levels behind highest player - So "64" NOW) ,buildings (That a player might have at this stage taking into account events) , resources (To really join the game)

Now if let's say someone - A real part time player - dropped below new player levels??????????????

Very easy option here - NOTIFICATION - Your Island has dropped below new player standards - would u like assistance?

Player clicks YES!

Level increases - Supply's arrive - Buildings upgraded...

OMG now we have game viability yes?

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    I enjoyed the leveling process. Yes, some folks were already at seemingly towering levels when I joined the game. It was fun catching up with most everyone. The differences in levels adds depth to the game as well. Folks play for different reasons. Eliminating the experience of starting from the ground floor and building your own seems like a loss to the experience of the game (except for alts).

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    These topics you open are quite thought provoking and very much worth the time reading and responding.
    Please continue.
    ==============

I have to disagree with this proposal. Why? The purpose of a game is to have fun.
    To that we all agree, but it goes beyond that. Except for solitaire, games are intended to facilitate social interactions. In this game, chat is the socialization vehicle.

I belong to a guild.
    I never needed the game to tell me I was falling behind. Guild officers took on that duty.
    I never needed the game to give me assistance, I got all the help I needed and more from the guild members and from all levels.
    I find over time my social network has expanded outside of guild chat to include many members that hang out in the TO chat.
    "intended to facilitate social interactions"

If it weren't for chat, I would have quit a long time ago. In my opinion, this game, if played as solitaire, vacuums worse than worse. IMHO, this game demands socialization.

You can't win this game and that leads to tons of generosity. Need a little help? Don't be shy - just ask.

People play for different reasons.
    This is a non-competitive game unless players choose to go head-to-head.
    This is a non-competitive game unless a player decides he actually wants "to catch Gazza1!!!!!!" and only if Gazza1 decides he does not want to be caught. In that scenario, both have decided to go head-to-head in a leveling race. That's fine if that is what the players want. Everything is by choice.

The game, through it's task book and quests, is designed to teach the new player the game fundamentals and as the player level rises, more of the complexities of the game. To deny that learning experience would definitely lead to player frustration and massive waves of new player exodus. A player can clear level 20 in a day.

There are many things in TSO that can and should be improved, but implementing Success for Every Player is not something I can agree with. Success has to be earned to have any value.

What I can see as an improvement is to automatically place all new players in one or more new player guilds - limited to 50 players, perhaps, and allow high level volunteers to moderate the new player guilds. Get those early social networks off to a good start and a lot of the issues you bring up for discussion are easily resolved.

Games, after all, are not ends to themselves, but rather games are intended to facilitate social interactions.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Every new player has the chance to catch up with you at lvl 75, I think the problem is the opposite: many players reach lvl 50 without understanding how to run an adventure, or how the production works. The way I see it, the big problem we had was that new players could not catch up on generals, or scouts, but now the problem is solved. Maybe instead of asking BB to make it even easier for them we should stop gifting huge amount of resources (yes, I am guilty too), and teach them what we learned about production and adventures. A bit less already made guides for every possible gens combo, a bit more teaching on how to make your own guide, or how to build an island that will cover your needs by lvl 50 at least.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    I dont think that the leveling process is what would be so discouraging to me if I just started so much as the inability to get the generals that it takes to level faster.

waiting almost a year to get to a certain level and for the right event to come around ....or, needing to drop alot of cash to buy generals would maybe be what would force me to find a new game.

I think that having a way to get veteran/MMA/Major general at earlier level , providing newer players with the ability to run bigger adventures would both help players get to higher levels faster, while still starting from the bottom to gain experience.

Another problem that this game has run into is that newer players and players up towards Gazza1 level have no way to properly interact together , level 65 plus players dont want anything to do with a stealing from the rich loot spot, and newer players cant even do a VLT let alone an arabian adv.

When I was a lower level , I was still able to play the game with level 50 players , nowadays the only ls swapping that we see is between those over level 50.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Loving the few response's thus far...

Maybe start the game at lvl 50 for new players - with a Major and 2 MMA?

Discuss, they are watching!

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    i am sorry i feel that ev1 should keep it the way it is

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    I think the most relevant point is that all of us posting have gone through the difficult beginnings, running adventures without the better generals, in and out of guilds, the whole ball of wax.

Yet here we are, having a conversation about how new players can and should be introduced to the game and its workings and what it takes to keep the speed bumps from being too discouraging.

Again, a lot of us survived the early levels and I think, perhaps, we are better at the game because of the early trials and tribulations.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    I do think is most worst and much more likely new blood quits between level 50 to 75 than from level 1 to 50. You have a carrot in front of you (not calling you horse, just saying) till level 64, so you play to get it. After that you have a big empty universe and nothing to get (except millions of millions of XP). I did think myself to quit several times already after last carrot.
    Adventures are fun... but doing them one after another, always the same.... became boring, really boring

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    I have to disagree with your proposal Gazza. Like Zman, I like the levelling process. I think also that starting at lvl 1 is better and give more time for new players to understand how the game works and how to run adventures.

Reply to Thread