Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: New players - Game Viability

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Should we somehow find a way to give birth to humans that are already 10 years old, or why not even 20 years old? They could avoid all the trials and tribulations of going through puberty, or finding a mate. They would already be functional members of society. Should we do that? I hope everyone reading is screaming NO. We gain wisdom as we gain years. We learn about the world better by being a part of it. I remember my first girlfriend, and I remember the pain I felt when I couldn't be with her. I remember learning how to drive, and how cool it was to just go driving in my car. These were milestones in life. We are the sum of our experiences ALONG with our knowledge. Knowledge alone will simply not suffice. Automatically starting at level 50 won't teach anyone how to run adventures, or how to save resources to get what they want.

Administrator
    World
    Zeus
    I'm not too sure where the automatically starting at 50 came from, but that only happens on the Test server. That is starting at the max level. The test server is used to test out new ideas and features. Allowing everyone to try it means more bug testers. Also it gives a little teaser of what is to come.

-BB_Odhran

World
    Zeus
    https://forum.thesettlersonline.net/...l=1#post282942

Go back to the original post and you'll see what he's talking about BB_Odhran.
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    I love reviving older threads. Here is my perspective as a player who played up to lvl 48 before taking a 5.5 year break from the game and coming back to new level caps/mechanics/buildings/resources/generals/etc/etc/etc.

I almost decided it wasn't worth it, and it may not be. Time will tell. I quickly remembered the basics of the economy and production chains to get my island up and running again. I had a couple people help me out with multiple day buffs and someone even gave me a fish farm which I never realized would be one resources I never have enough of anymore. I had saved up a bunch of adventures from my past playing so I was able to run SFTR, DP, Nords, and others I remember without too much difficulty.

The real kick in the pants though are all the new named generals and the prospect of being able to reduce my troops losses in adventures immensely by having them. But seeing how much they would cost nearly wants me to give up. Luckily I had saved enough gems from before that I was able to get one of them and it has helped. Still the road ahead seems daunting. I still have no idea how the pvp stuff works either and apparently most people ignore that mechanic all together.

I see much of the trade office does not really favor the new/returning player, i'm trying to sell lower level materials that no one wants, even at fairly good discounts (according to the price spreadsheets). I have no possibility at the moment to comfortably produce larger armies to participate in higher level adventures. And wasting my limited precious gold coins on loot spots hasn't proved to be as effective as I'd hoped in obtaining certain resources, like magic beans/beanstalks for example. I remember thriving on the TO when I played in the past and was able to make a decent profit from it. These days, i'm just trying to pawn off some junk for a few coins here and there. And no one wants to buy loot spots for some of these older adventures anymore, so they go to waste.

In no way do I think that new players should be excused from the journey of leveling up from the beginning, and should do everything that many of us have done when we started, but it's tougher as time goes on, for those who return or start late to get into the game. The gap will always be widening, from the hardcore who have played consistently for years to those more casual who are just starting out or trying to get back into it. Without a guild I don't know how anyone could really go it alone at a lower level these days. Gratefully, I joined a guild as I returned and have gotten good advice from senior players.

I would like to optimize my game play. Although limited in capacity, i'm working towards getting a Major General that will help out on my adventures as well as trying to save up gems for more named generals. The whole gem mine thing would be nice but I'm not sure how long i'll be around this time to really get the benefit of it. I would rather spend the gems I did have on something immediate that would give me a boost to the adventure grind. I'm kind of disappointed that adventuring is still the only real way to gain reliable experience to level up.

TLDR; As a returning player, I think everyone should experience the game from level 1. With that said, if I had to start from level 1 today, I wouldn't. The gap between much of the player base does not really favor the little guy. You'll either be ripped off on the market or get pennies for the stuff you can sell. Unless you really area glutton for punishment. Something could be done to enhance the experience for lower lvls. I'm just not sure what it is.

Administrator
    World
    Zeus
    We are always looking to help progress the game and I do understand how difficult it can be starting a game when everyone else is a higher level. It does stink that you can't do the trades like a higher level can, but it also makes it a challenge to get to that high level as well.

-BB_Odhran

Reply to Thread