Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New players - Game Viability

World
    Zeus
    I agree with those saying that the way the game is set up is fine. My only advice would be to give new players quick access to the guides for the tutorial quests and island clearing and 0-production quests. Or figure out some way to make the archives more...attractive/noticeable.
    I don't see many new players being intimidated by higher level players unless they are in a guild that is pushy about the speed of their progression. I've played this game for over 5 1/2 years [w/o taking breaks] on this server and I'm still progressing at my own pace...to level 57 now during the event.
    Yeah, I could probably be right up their with the top level players, but to my style of play, that would be monotonous...grinding through adventure after adventure only trying to run them as fast as I can using guides that others came up with. Instead, I make my own guides. To me, minimization of losses and potential losses for fails is the fun in adventuring. I've even learned to make my own block positioning.
    I think that the onus is on the guild leaders to encourage the players in their guilds to play however gives them the most enjoyment in order to keep them active.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    I have to LOVE!!!

This time I ask for conversation - I get mixed comment's

Tells me and (I hope) the game my last conversation was ALL AGREE

This time different points of view

All are welcome!

immaduck
    I myself think the game should remain the way it is as far as leveling is concerned. Many players would be upset and quit if the logged on and saw a new player the same level as he or she is even more so if they had spent real money on game

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    I DO NOT agree with this at all Gazza. players these days have everything, and I mean everything handed to them - need resources? ask in TO and a dozen people will tell you to post a fish for what you can hold. need buildings, generals, or other gem items? you can buy most off trade, pretty cheap, and can have others gifted to you, or just wait and BB will "donate" a fancy general to your island when it's event time. there is nothing wrong with lower level players (or any player for that matter) using tavern generals to do a WOTS or HB and if "THEY" want (if they like/enjoy the game), they might spend money and get a BHG or MMA. the point being, every player that loves/likes/enjoys this game, works hard for what they have and works hard for each level they gain, and nothing, NOTHING, should ever take the place of that. the leveling up process in this game is one of the reasons that make it a GREAT game (the other being the chat). if a newbie is unable or unwilling to tackle that process, then maybe this game isn't for them and they should go play chutes n ladders or candy land.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    I, too like many others, feel that it should remain as it is as far as the process is concerned but like someone mentioned, nothing new after level 64 is not motivating anymore at all. I have probably been the slowest to level up since I hit 63/64.

World
    Zeus
    Respectfully, I am going to disagree with you on this Gazza, I found the leveling to be a rewarding and educational experience. Now with the additions of the flying purple slot machine, there are a bunch of ways to level faster. This year was my first Easter event, I started right around the Crisis event after 2016 Easter. With a helpful guild, the Crisis event was fun while challenging. Like others have pointed out, I found generals and explorers to be the most difficult to catch up on, but even that has been remedied with the recent limit increases in the merch.

I used to play World of Warcraft, and a few years ago they created a mechanism during an expansion where a player could create a new character and boost them to the old max level, then work their way through the new content to reach the new max. What happened was we had a bunch of new characters that people did not know how to use properly. Many of them abandoned the boosted character because it wasn't fun to play (without the leveling experience, they lost the early nuances of how to play the character).

So if we bring this back to TSO, think about starting someone at 50 with a full island to populate: killing the bandits is less fun as the loot and experience is meaningless at 50. Buildings get dropped without thought to their placement since they did not have the leveling time to learn the value of placement near storehouses. How many times have you thought to yourself, "if I started over, I could build a far more organized and balanced island." But that only works with the knowledge and experience you gained through the game play.

No, I think the leveling should start at 1 and let the guilds and community to help the new players with resources

Mayor
    World
    Zeus
    crawl walk run...

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    I've been playing less than a year, 292 days according to the "play for a year" achievement counter (assuming I've logged in every day....assume that I have). I'm lvl 62, which is high enough that leveling beyond that point holds no specific interest for me. I accomplished this with a great deal of help from a friendly mentor and a great deal of help from my wallet for generals and premium.

I had a lot of fun along the way. Learning how to manage inventory and supply chains, wrestling with the fluctuating market for goods, finding ways to utterly conquer adventure islands, building my population and armies to allow me enormous flexibility. All of it was enjoyable for me. Now though, I just sit atop my busy island and rebuild mines and reapply buffs. Level 75 is not within reach...heck, 65 is not even within sight. I'd need to work as hard as I did to get to 62, just to get to 65. I'm more or less done unless I decide to become the master of some corner of the market.

I can't imagine how I would come to enjoy the game if I started where I am now.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    I Think that the way it is right now is fine, but the only complaints that i hear is that people at lower levels seem to have trouble getting gem pits/generals because of the lack of gems. i know that recently there have been new ways to get gems (Excelsior) and such but players are still struggling to get gems. now i have seen and know many people who have never spent a nickle on this game and are doing fine but yet most people have to buy gems. but i have seen many players at low levels get discouraged and not want to play because of this problem.

I think it should be a little easier to level up just like more quests because at my level (55) it can get hard i don't do many adventures mostly because i don't have the time but i think more quests should be given out because i currently have no new quests in my quest book

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Gazza1, I disagree on the support for to increase the player levels unless it is earned.

People will loose interest to maintain an account that they have not earned levels so if I login in once a month and get additional resources I would make it to the same level a person who has logged in every day managed. The guy logging in everyday will get disillusioned and the guy getting support will disregard the value of earning their level. Also people will start hitting level cap sooner and loose interest and leave the game.

I did not purchase any of my generals with cash but I do remember my guild helping me get my first Veteran General during my first Easter event of 2016. Adventures run prior to Vet General were tough so I appreciated the Fast Generals better. I joined the game just before the Christmas 2015 event and saw the importance of joining a guild during the event. Although, I would like a regular event to keep game interest between Easter and Halloween like the intermittent Soccer event.

Although I see some people without guilds in chat, the think we already have a Game Viability mechanism in place which are the Guilds and you can choose a guild to match your style of play from totally relaxed to really intense.

Reply to Thread