Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: New players - Game Viability

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    If people start the game at a high level, for example level 60, they would feel overwhelmed by the complexity of the game at that level. There are so many ways of playing at that level that it would lead to indecision. Worst of all, I can't imagine a new playing wanting to continue in a game when they start at a level with over 10 million XP needed to level up for the first time. Leveling provides most of the drive to keep playing by creating a sense of accomplishment. Being a player the doesn't have as much time to play as I used to and never took much pleasure in just doing constant repetition of a few adventures I lost heart after reaching level 60. There were a few months were I didn't even bother to do any adventures because leveling just seemed too far away to care about. I would never stick with a game as a new player that started without close goals to reach for. This suggestion would end this game.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    I have played more games than I can count. Every once in a while I come across a game that gives you a level boost. Nothing wrong with that if you are used to the game mechanics. If you are not familiar then it is very difficult to "catch up" with those who have been playing for a long time. IMHO, starting from the beginning and actually working your way through the ranks is one of the best ways to play any game. Many games give you an item or two that will help you level. That may be one way to appease some people. That way the player would b able to learn the game without missing out on getting used to some of the basic skills in the game.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Can't change the leveling process. That'd be like putting noob pre-meds into the fourth year of med school to keep them motivated. Or having the hillbilly select the wine next time you're dining at a French restaurant. The subtle complexities found at the higher levels is best mastered by the necessary process of leveling, itself.

But Gazza1 makes an interesting point which addresses the valid concern that too many new players quit almost immediately. He (correctly, I think) asserts that the daunting thought of all the time and effort required to reach the game's higher levels is discouraging to many. So the issue becomes somewhat paradoxical: the very rewards for sticking it out are simultaneously discouraging because they seem so far away.

One solution might be a mentoring pool: a group of willing players who'd volunteer (maybe with some special rewards for doing so) to shepherd new players through the first (25? 30?) levels, providing the noobs with advice, materials, basic rewards. Less obviously, the mentors would be providing incentive to keep playing.

Another idea might be a series of level-appropriate difficult-to-complete quests which enable newer players to jump multiple levels at once. The resources required to complete such requests would be comparable to those required to advance the normal way, but with an abbreviated time period. The effort required would be greater, meaning the noob would demonstrate a strong commitment and be rewarded appropriately.

My two cents.

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    I started 5 months ago and am level 44 now.

I've enjoyed leveling up so far. Figuring out how to play TSO is part of the fun.
    What made leveling easier and more fun has been the help my guild has given me.

What we need is a good tutorial that pulls together the following information (which came slowly for me):
    Adventures, combat, generals, blocking, fast vs slow attacks, lootspots, tagging, combat sims

Part of the satisfaction of the game is struggling to progress, and then seeing that progress. If players miss the early progression, then they won't appreciate the rewards that come.

Settler
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza1 View Post
    If I joined this game today.

I would join at level 1.

After a little time playing, I would learn what it takes to get to level 50 .

Getting to level 50 would be OK , Until the point, that I saw a guy on (MY LEVEL 74 Gazza1 Author)

At this stage my heart would sink, I thought I found a good game with a nice chat network!

What I would do at this stage was see what I have to do, to catch Gazza1!!!!!!

Yeah RIGHT! - I just joined this game BUT to be a "PLAYER" in this game?... "NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN"

I have a simple fix for this.

I call it GAME VIABILITY FOR NEW BLOOD

As the leading level player in my server - I would love it if a new player - was introduced to the game with a level (Maybe 10 levels behind highest player - So "64" NOW) ,buildings (That a player might have at this stage taking into account events) , resources (To really join the game)

Now if let's say someone - A real part time player - dropped below new player levels??????????????

Very easy option here - NOTIFICATION - Your Island has dropped below new player standards - would u like assistance?

Player clicks YES!

Level increases - Supply's arrive - Buildings upgraded...

OMG now we have game viability yes?
    Absurd.

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    If you want to play the game the way the OP suggests start an account on the test server. The result is a cookie cutter island where production is not optimal for your game play style. It would result in a situation where everyone is producing exactly the same amount of resources therefore you may as well hang a "Gone Fishing" sign on the trade office. Most worrying is it would result in a exploit big enough to swallow Canada.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Artillerist View Post
    Having my son recently start playing I have found that since I helped him level and supply him stuff, he lost interest too quick because he didnt have to work for it. ( I took him on a 2nd thief at level 17) he jumped from 17 to 33 quick and found he didnt have the building chains set up that he needed so he got frustrated. After seeing this I kinda wish I did not help him level. So I dont think starting people out at a high level would help that much."...." Perhaps a one time Package per account that is a starter pack that has 2 improved Silos, 2 improved Farms, 1 friary, 1 Major, 1 Battle gen, 1 MMA,2 fast geo, 3 schools, 2 improved storehouses for around 35$ I would get this and he would be better off.'
    Wouldn't that repeat the initial mistake? My husband tried playing too, and I did the same as you. Sure, part of it was the lack of accessibility from the game, but my handing out resources played a part too. I still remember how much I hated this game the 1st few levels. I started, quit, didn't find any other that I liked. Then I gave it a 2nd try, got some good advice (no help tho) , discovered the advs, and here I am today

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    the issue with this is that it a game or supply and demand, strategy and growing to fast can lead to major imbalances, tho I'm still classed as lower lvl 48 I'm by no means a new player just looking at my island you can see I've been here a while, in fact, i'm one of the old players 5yrs next month, Starting at a higher lvl you dont gain the same insights into how to adv, what the difference is between 1,2,3 players - co-op and ventures some would grab one quickly and cope others would leave because they have no idea what they're doing.

Better to help the newbies give them the help with resources, info, guides and sharing ideas, so they can grow and learn at a pace they're comfortable with, offer support to them to help them grow, i've recently seen someone go from lvl 1 to 64 in less than a year and he's always helping newbies because as he said we all helped him now it's he turn to help others starting out

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by NicciKiwi View Post
    the issue with this is that it a game or supply and demand, strategy and growing to fast can lead to major imbalances, tho I'm still classed as lower lvl 48 I'm by no means a new player just looking at my island you can see I've been here a while, in fact, i'm one of the old players 5yrs next month, Starting at a higher lvl you dont gain the same insights into how to adv, what the difference is between 1,2,3 players - co-op and ventures some would grab one quickly and cope others would leave because they have no idea what they're doing.

Better to help the newbies give them the help with resources, info, guides and sharing ideas, so they can grow and learn at a pace they're comfortable with, offer support to them to help them grow, i've recently seen someone go from lvl 1 to 64 in less than a year and he's always helping newbies because as he said we all helped him now it's he turn to help others starting out
    Good point. I'm a slow leveler because I play less for adventuring and XP than economics and an over-the-top island aesthetic. Those with whom I joined are currently between level 65 and 71 (I am a lowly almost-56). Pace is a significant consideration.

World
    Zeus
    I emphatically disagree with this proposal, not only does it devalue the time and effort us long standing players have put into the game to accomplish what we have, but the long standing players who are not as high as some, would be left behind and possibly quit due to the lack of regard for the faithful long standing players of the game. Many games are ruined and fail due to the massive "upgrades" made to a game to make it overly easy for new comers to attain or surpass the ones that spent the time and effort to accomplish what new comers can all of a sudden accomplish with a fraction of the time/effort.

Reply to Thread