World
    Ares

World
    Ares

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Milhotep View Post

Clue 1 and Clue 2: Must be either 8 or 2. Can't be 6, because clue 2 has six--if it were correct, clue 2 says 6 is in the wrong place. So either -8- or --2, and the 4 must now come into play--either 48-, 84-, 4-2, or -42
    Clue 3: There's that 6 again, and we already know it isn't right. So, must be 0 & 2. So, because they are in the wrong place, and we know the combo is --2, it must now be 042. Middle number can't be 8 because of Clue 1.
    Clue 4: We didn't need this clue or the last one.

Congrats to Milhotep for:
    A. Getting the correct answer: 042.
    B. Explaining the logic behind achieving the correct answer.
    C. Pointing out that clues 4 and 5 were unnecessary.

Now that got me to thinking. Why were clues 4 and 5 unnecessary? They were, in fact, unnecessary; I'm not disputing Milhotep's observation. But WHY were they unnecessary? Sometimes, you might reply, puzzles are purposely presented with unnecessary information to make the puzzle more difficult to solve. But in this case, the LAST TWO clues were unnecessary. So one could have solved the puzzle before even arriving at the unnecessary portion of the puzzle. Perhaps, I thought to myself, one of the clues were presented with mistaken information. So, with much time on my hands, I set about changing the clues so that all five clues were quite necessary to arrive at the correct answer of 042. And I think I have come up with a minimal change which requires all five clues: Change the number in the second clue from 614 to 314. Does anyone agree with me? Disagree? Could care less? Think I have too much time? Please let me know.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus

Recruit
    World
    Ares

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Odhran View Post

The worldwide majority of players voted for the bird with obsidian feathers. Could this statue be the one Eamon is looking for?
    Read our last chapter of this series and find out!

Plan B

That could have been the end of the adventure. A silly misfortune and a misplaced statue, and everything would have been in vain. You, however, managed to figure out which was the right statue. A confident nod from Sonya banishes any remaining doubt in your mind; you hand Eamon the obsidian bird statue.

He ponders it, as your crew stares. While he studies the artifact, you can't help but feel the cold seep into your bones as you all freeze in anticipation. The occasional shiver from your explorer reminds you of passing time and harsh biting cold.

"This bird was caged," Eamon declares solemnly. "The man who took it knows not; it has to be set free."

Eamon looks at the statue resting in his palm and begins a crushing motion.

"I shall turn it to rubble, the thief will freeze, along with the mountain; I will go back to sleep."

"Wait," interrupted Sonya. "Is there a plan B? My crew is getting back from surveying and I wouldn't want them to freeze as well!"

"Well - If the bird is allowed to travel, its heart will warm up. Over time, the man will live."

"I can make that work!" Sonya said, with a smirk, looking knowingly at you.

You and your companions emerge out of the maze and onto the mountain path. You are carrying the statue and can't help but feel it's getting colder as you hope Eamon was right and making it travel on the Excelsior will save the man who stole the statue in the first place. The blizzard is back, making progression slow. Your scout announces she's found tracks in the snow:

"This area is patrolled by the Nords, we will have to be careful!".

You nod and proceed warily, using the poor visibility to your advantage and avoid the patrols. It seemed like an endless journey, but now you finally see Excelsior in sight. It looks like the crew is back, but the ship is on lockdown! Its main access has a lock in place and a piece of paper attached:

"Captain, we are on board, but there are Nords around. We didn't want to risk leaving the ship opened; we left you the code to the lock, but we had to make sure the Nords couldn't figure it out. We are sure you will figure it out."

"What a brainfreeze," Sonya says, tossing you the paper. "You seem to have a talent for riddles, right?"

You still don't know who that man is. But should the trick with the Excelsior work, he will have to answer some questions. How long will it take until he can move again? Only time will tell...

The solution is 042.

Soldier
    World
    Ares

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    042, nice to sharp our minds... thank you

Recruit
    World
    Zeus

Reply to Thread