Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Summer event fun or is it?

Soldier
    World
    Zeus

Summer event fun or is it?

BB,

Please note that I know there may be some errors in this post. I tried to be accurate with all the numbers but it is all an estimate. If a few numbers are off, I still think the points are valid.

Thank you for doing a summer event.

Events should be exciting and fun. Players can work hard, do a lot of adventures and get stuff. I want to feel good about playing the game and earning rewards. I chat with other players and those that I have chatted with want the same thing.

The summer event has no 3x loot adventures. This is VERY disappointing. Prices are high and ball drops are low. I have chatted with several players that feel the same way about this event.

I did some calculations on how many balls one can expect to earn during the event using some reasonable assumptions, e.g. people do need to sleep.

The achievements take a little bit of work, but can all be attained. That is 635 balls. The soccer adventures deliver 1300 (1950 on premo) balls (from wiki site). Then there are the island collectibles, the adventures and the explorers. The adventures are simple enough.

A little math shows that if I do 100 Outlaws adventures, I will earn 2100 footballs. 100 Traitors would be 1800 balls. Let's split it and do 50 of each. So that would be 1950 balls.

Doing 100 adv during the event is certainly making an effort. I have done a few more than that during the last couple of events. And I know other players have done more than I have.

Collectibles on the island? The three times I counted I got 6,4, 7 and 9 balls. The average is 6.5. Lets just call it 7. That is 420 balls for the event.

That leaves the explorers as a source of balls. Everyone has varying amounts of explorers. I am just going to use my numbers which I think are higher than average. 3 tavern explorers 8 luckies, 2 courageous and 16 savage/intrepid.

I assumed that all explorers would be sent out every 6 hours, 8 for luckys. The explorers could be sent out every 6 hours (on average) if someone was willing to give up on sleep.

The returns if sent out every 6 hours (8 for Luckys) for the entire event are:

3 Taverns = 480
    13 savage = 3120
    8 lucky = 2400 ---> this is actually not every 8 hours. I decided to do 4 hour runs during the day and an over night run. So it is average of the two.
    2 Courageous = 960

Total from explorers 6960. That is a nice number, but it is my max (allowing for sleep, but sending explorers out every 6 hours which I wont really do).

So my maximum total is 11905 balls on premo. That is not such a bad number, but look where it comes from. Over half of it is from explorers and only 16% is from non-event adventures. So working really hard doing adventures is not very profitable.

What are players going to get with only a few explorers? Not so much. I have all the explorers that gems could buy, but not all of them from every event since the game started. Let's say lower level players can get 1000 balls from explorers.

So that would give them 4600 balls. That doesnt look too bad but lets look at prices in the merchant.

There are 5 things in the merchant that I consider as either must haves or unique to the soccer event.

Training Field 1499
    Snack Stand 4250
    Stone Cold Geo 1295 x2 = 2590
    Lucky Explorer 2499
    Friary 1995

total 11538 or 12833

My max is 11858ish. So I am short of getting everything I would want. Ok, so I cant get everything. Players that do not have a lot of explorers, are going to get one maybe 2 things out of the 5.

Is this a good event for these players?

The Snack Stand is the new building for this event. This event is where the Training Field was introduced to the game. Is it really your intent that most players will not be able to afford those two buildings?

My understanding was that the original purpose of 3x loot adventures was to get players to do adventures that otherwise just sat in their star menu and eventually are deleted.

There are definitely adventures that are too costly for the loot they provide. I thought the event 3x loot was a great idea.

I dont understand why Outlaws and Traitors were chosen for extra loot several events in a row. Some other unloved adventures would have made more sense.

There are a few adventures that need even a better bonus. Wild Mary, Arctic Explosion, Secluded Experiments and SotV come to mind. AE would do well with 3x. The others need a little more boost. Roaring Bull and GunPowder are also plentiful in my star and would get used up if there was more of a reason to run them.

All the coop adventures would do well to be 4x. It is more difficult to get players together to do coops, and there is a little more risk involved when 4 players all need to do their part or no one gets anything.

At this point in the event, the only way to fix what I see as a problem would be to lower all the prices in the merchant. Perhaps reducing all the prices by a factor of 4. That would solve the low ball drop rate issue and bring things in line with other events.

I hope that you can understand the purpose of this post is to show you why a lot of players are not happy with this event. Whether they tell you or not is up to them. It would be great if you could figure out a solution rather than simply tell yourselves, "There is nothing wrong. We don't owe the players anything."

Administrator
    World
    Zeus
    I fully understand and I will make a suggestion for you, to see what might be able to be done.

-BB_Odhran

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    I agree with the first 85% of this post. I don't think the proposed solution is a good one though. Reducing the price of items in the shop wouldn't do anything to address the primary issue. The problem is that adventuring is not weighted well enough, a hotfix that increases the ball drops from adventures and/or includes a 3x drop adventure list (including some coops) would be the best way to address this problem. Another option would be to add some cheap exhibition matches that cost little-to-nothing in the merchant, but require substantial tactical buffs to clear for soccer balls. That would provide an outlet for the excess tactical items being gathered by heavy adventurers.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    I agree the ways things are currently, i am on prem and adventure as much as possible, send my explores out as much as possible, and will be lucky to get half of the items I had planned. It is disappointing to spend so much time trying to progress in the game and get things that will help with that and realize much of that is not possible. I also buy gems regularly to keep on prem, and buy things that i need. It should not be this hard to get event related items.

World
    Zeus
    I agree that the ball drops from adventures are pretty light.

One thing to be pointed out is that everyone can earn a Snack Stand by doing the Host of Responsibilities quest chain. So the one in the merchant is a second one, which is very attractive to get, but even newer people should be able to finish the quests and get at least one. I think that's pretty generous of BB actually.

If I was new and realized I couldn't afford everything in the merchant I'd factor that into my decisions and concentrate on getting a Lucky and a Football Field, in that order. I could always pick up a friary in TO at some point down the road if it didn't work out during the event.

I feel kinda bad that newer people can't get everything that's on offer, but at the same time, I couldn't either when I was a newb. Had to prioritize and get what was the most important as far as being either rare and only available during the event or really expensive in gems outside of it. Heck even after playing all these years, I still prioritize and make purchases in a specific order just in case something comes up and I can't be on enough during the event to get everything I want.
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    The answer is pretty much already there. Back in 2012 I think, there were event soccer matches with actual opponents:

The Opening Game
    Game two
    Game three
    Game four
    Game five
    The Final Game

There are two levels of difficulty of each. I ran the harder "The Final Game" with no losses (mind you, that's with 7 MMA, 1 Nus, 1 Var, 1 Ans, a few Dracs, all fully skilled, and was a pain with no viable sims). I got only 90 balls + about 15K xp before premium, no other loot. 90 Balls for somewhere under an hour of adventuring. Probably could be run in 30 minutes or less with a fair number of R losses.

Give every player one set of these - all 6 matches - easy under level 37 and "hard" over level 37, or whatever the cutoff was back in the day. If they all pay out similar balls, so 50-90 or something, that's somewhere around 400 pre-premium for six matches, and for almost every player on the server, they haven't run these in at least 4 years, so it's like new content.

No need to create something, just send one of those gift emails - people that need the balls will run them, they pay out way better than regular adventures, but only in event resources so there's balance there.

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    The snack stand is overpriced for what it currently does, but I'll still grab it because I'm not passing up on a unique building. It is nice, though, that all I have to do is complete every quest and I can get one regardless. I really like this concept. I expect might come short of getting the friaries, but those are easy enough to come by.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Honestly if I hadn't bought gems on the sale, I would not have been able to even get half of the items. I only get on at night and weekends. I have over 20 evp's and they are my main source of balls. I have already done at least 40 adv's since the event started. So yes a low level player is not going to benefit much from this event,

Retired Community Leader
    World
    Ares
    There were six soccer games in the 2012 Eurocup event. However, they are the parallel of the games given currently from the calendar. The only significant difference is that they changed from combat to collectible-based buff. This may be because collectibles did not exist in the game at the time of the first event, nor was there scenarios. There were also no additional rewards for completing them through achievements, as there were no achievements.

One of the bigger problems is the solitary nature of the event. While the sum of the rewards for a multi-player adventure may be somewhat equivalent to the same difficulty of other adventures, there is ultimately a disincentive for people to do multi-player adventures. Making events effectively a solitary activity has an inhibiting effect on the game community. I would continue to say there is an intrinsic problem with the multi-player loot determination, which has caused other issues over the years, but that is only part of the problem. The prospective increases from cooperative adventures would have been an improvement, but unfortunately, it was not ready prior to the event start.

So, in answer to 'is the event fun?' - like many activities, it is possible to find enjoyment alone, but it would be much better with other people.

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    honestly these quests where we get 120k xp instead of event loot are ridiculous. yesterday - 2500 sandwiches... i mean really?? it takes me 3 months to use 100 .... this is ridiculous. and then today .. pay 300 balls.. at the rate they are dropping from adv - 3 to 5 at a time... thats basically 1/2 my inventory that i had. and ... for what?? oh ya 120k xp... since when do event quest NOT drop event loot. Sorry but this event is a failure in my book.

(i have also yet to find any adventure thats dropping triple loot like easter.)

ciara

Reply to Thread