Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: World Wide Web Day

Administrator
    World
    Zeus

World Wide Web Day

Dear Settlers,

Celebrate World Wide Web Day with us by recalling the humble beginnings of web browsing that revolutionized and shaped our society to the digital era we live in.

• We invite you to share your very first memory of web browsing - where were you, who was there with you and what website did you access?

We're looking forward to reading a boatload of nostalgic entries!

Happy World Wide Web Day!
    BB_Odhran

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    My second computer (first one was a slow DOS with no modem) was a desktop with Windows95. My first day online, I had found a tiny little kitten outside in a clump of weeds, he didn't even have his eyes open yet, and no other kittens or mama in sight. I took him to the vet, got what he needed from the vet, and put him in a little box next to the computer. I had that sweet cat for 17 years... He outlasted that computer (and that OS) by a long time!
    Proud leader of Eden, where everyone is accepted and respected, regardless of playing level. Write me for a free membership!

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    i got my first computer 15 yrs ago, a little late to the party. My leg was in a cast so it was something to do since i couldn't go hiking. I instantly got hooked on all kinds of games, and met a bunch of great people in a stroke-survivor group who are still my online friends today. They taught me how to make animated gifs and all kinds of other skills on the computer. 15 years later i am still gaming, shopping, researching. Happy World Wide Web Day!

World
    Ares

From the stone age

Back in the 80's I was going online to the BBs, played text based games, was on a few of the chat boards. Everything was dial up, a 2400 bps connection was lightening fast. I can still hear those squeals and beeps. First time I saw anything about the WWW was at a computer convention in DC, can't even remember the name of it now. Cost $125 to get in unless you were involved in IT. I was a systems administrator for the Wang system of the company I worked for at the time, so I got in free. There was an exhibit where you could go online free to check it out, I remember thinking, "What if I forget how to get back to my own computer?" LOL

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    My first experience with the internet was with a webtv and phone line dialup. Computers cost way to much back then so Webtv was the only remotely affordable way to get access to the WWW.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    My first experience was using the DOS based program "QModem" while I was still using DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11. The WWW was just a bunch of text with highlighted lines for the hyperlinks. I remember thinking how amazingly fast files were downloading, only to find I had to then initiate the Z-Modem protocol to actually download the file from the ISP's servers to my local computer.

World
    Zeus
    My first time online was with a friend's Commodore 64 and his 300 baud modem (At that point , I believe I was on my second computer, and Tandy 1000 SL that we had just upgraded to have a second 5.25" floppy drive and 640K RAM - huge upgrade from the 128K). The online world was mostly text and ASCII art. A small .jpg file might take 20-30min to download at this speed.

For context, https://www.thesettlersonline.net/en/homepage weighs in at 3.3M...or about 25 hours 38 minutes to download at 300 baud.

Administrator
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by convgt View Post
    My first experience with the internet was with a webtv and phone line dialup. Computers cost way to much back then so Webtv was the only remotely affordable way to get access to the WWW.
    I remember WebTV. It was a decent little idea.

-BB_Odhran

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    It was AOL 1993-1995; AOL was where I could talk with people in my free time, have some good laughs, good fun, play some cartoon-ish like games, where I first told others (Strangers)
    "I wish I could take my cellular phone and connect it to AOL”; so that I could use it without being stuck on this landline wire" I had tried to no avail to somehow connect it to the back of my windows 3.1, lol. I tried but the connection cable would not work! AOL was where I would write up new poetry, new written works and discuss with others my (out of the box thinking & come up with new ideas). The WWW was still in its early stages. I was in Moreno Valley California, Riverside County USA; I was all by myself in my music-recording studio. I had a Ma Bell landline telephone service for dial up. I believe at that time I had windows 3.1 and Dot Matrix printer, Air Touch Cellular was my cell phone company. I had some real good fun when the AOL chat rooms came out and were not condescending and not hostile like it is today. It was on AOL and most likely, I would have never copy written or trademarked or patented my idea (cell phone to internet) at all because even to this day, I am digresser and I am a procrastinator. Child hood victimizations disabilities and the same broken neck I have today, have always been my obstacles no matter what I do in life. Always had me moving on and not caring about anything other than eating, having shelter and clothes etc. Today I am thankful my idea, led to someone engineering and so forth, the cell phone to Internet (my idea) and there hard works of engineering etc., which has created millions of jobs and newer technologies and people around the world are coming up with newer ideas and it will always be a blessing for us all! Whom I must give credit to for my “idea cell phone to internet" are my Older Brother Donald P, Pastor Greg L, Pastor Steve B, Minister Judge W, AOL, Ma Bell, Air Touch Cellular, Captain Michael G, Riverside Sheriffs Department, Dr. Peter H, all from the USA and of course; My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for dying on the cross for none of this would be possible; for without them, I would not had come up with the idea of “cell phone to internet" at all because I would have been homeless. It is my duty to mention all of them, but not to reveal their full names for privacy reasons, (I will not reveal without there permission) due to; (today's internet dangers); I thank all of them for allowing me to be free minded; to have that free creative thinking, (cell phone to internet) And you all should thank them as I do. By the way, I do not know who did the engineering part, but its fair for me to assume it was someone in the AOL chat room or someone that read the chat room on AOL, that moved others to take my idea the “cell phone to internet” and make is so. You all enjoy today! I am happy we have the cell phone in Internet today J. These are my bragging rights, Respectfully, LordMadmax.

World
    Zeus
    It was 1995 .. way back when the internet played that annoying sound while connecting and then took for ever to do it.

Reply to Thread