Reply to Thread

Thread: Is the epic woodyard worth trying to get?

Settler
    World
    Zeus

Is the epic woodyard worth trying to get?

If you have one, did you do anything special with your other workyards to balance production lines? Increasing or decreasing some? The extra coal production looks attractive, but if I'd have to build 25 other foresters and cutters to keep things in balance, …I don't know.

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    I have mine set to all foresters, which I turned on after the buff quests came out requiring so much wood production. Saves a bit of space, though you need to find a rather large spot to place it and maybe plan some of the rest of the layout around that (I had to put the woodcutters in that specific area because it's foresters). A bit of a resource sink to buy/upgrade but not that expensive. I would recommend it if you have a plan how to use it and the resources to upgrade it. Not a must but okay for what it is. I wouldn't buy the gem one, but 5k beans is not much. If nothing else, I would have one (upgraded) just in case. I was caught off guard when the epic farmyard went from being a large mostly waste of space water producer to something I now use for wheat and flour due again to the large buff quest requirements. Unexpectedly very helpful.

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    I got mine mostly sleeping atm but used them as foresters quite frequently along with producing more coal on the 2nd one and switched to all coal later on to some degree. I use it mostly when I want/need(lol...)more resources quickly. Probably the best example to date, BB once had a 1/2 production time on smelters, needless to say without shutting down half your production to be "normal" again, you consumed twice the amount....TO blew up with coal trades, while I was sipping coffee and didn't care because I could comfortably keep full/double production up due to the coal churning the woodyards did do,

Biggest downside to the whole thing are the buffs. You only really have 1 and that's like 8/12h which is a PITA. Also equal amounts of X building will outperform the Yard again, but here is also it's biggest upside....flexibility. You could pretty much rid yourself of Exotic Sawmills after upgrading it (not that I would recommend it giving BBs often retarded way of implementing (new) quests) and switch around when/if needed /shrugs

World
    Ares
    New quests for blueprints to upgrade chains would be nice, just like the epic farmyard
    Whence comest thou?

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwalben View Post
    I have mine set to all foresters, which I turned on after the buff quests came out requiring so much wood production. Saves a bit of space, though you need to find a rather large spot to place it and maybe plan some of the rest of the layout around that (I had to put the woodcutters in that specific area because it's foresters). A bit of a resource sink to buy/upgrade but not that expensive. I would recommend it if you have a plan how to use it and the resources to upgrade it. Not a must but okay for what it is. I wouldn't buy the gem one, but 5k beans is not much. If nothing else, I would have one (upgraded) just in case. I was caught off guard when the epic farmyard went from being a large mostly waste of space water producer to something I now use for wheat and flour due again to the large buff quest requirements. Unexpectedly very helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceruhe View Post
    I got mine mostly sleeping atm but used them as foresters quite frequently along with producing more coal on the 2nd one and switched to all coal later on to some degree. I use it mostly when I want/need(lol...)more resources quickly. Probably the best example to date, BB once had a 1/2 production time on smelters, needless to say without shutting down half your production to be "normal" again, you consumed twice the amount....TO blew up with coal trades, while I was sipping coffee and didn't care because I could comfortably keep full/double production up due to the coal churning the woodyards did do,

Biggest downside to the whole thing are the buffs. You only really have 1 and that's like 8/12h which is a PITA. Also equal amounts of X building will outperform the Yard again, but here is also it's biggest upside....flexibility. You could pretty much rid yourself of Exotic Sawmills after upgrading it (not that I would recommend it giving BBs often retarded way of implementing (new) quests) and switch around when/if needed /shrugs
    The exotic sawmill was one of the things that started me looking at the woodyard. I haven't built any exotic sawmills yet, and thought the woodyard looked like a flexible option that could do a lot of other things. But then I looked at the quest line, and you already have to have two level 5 exotic sawmills just to get through the quest line and open up all the abilities. Every time I think of something that would make it worth getting, it seems like there are a couple of things to make me wonder if it's worth the effort: Coal production would be nice, but I'd have to build extra woodcutters and foresters to support it; The forestry function on the surface seems like it ought to be useful, but I'd have to rearrange my whole island to put it an effective range of my woodcutters; etc, etc, etc.

Thank you both for sharing your experience. Maybe I'll just have to get one myself and play around with it.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    I just turn it on for the occasional extra burst of coal production, or when I'm maxed out on pwl

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    I have two of them, and run them 24/7 making coal from PWL. Each section is the equivalent of 4 level 6 cokers, so a properly placed Epic woodyard can replace 12 cokers. That's a lot of Building licenses that can be repurposed.
    And they give you flexibility that you can switch them to other things for short bursts for handling quests or special event requirements.

Reply to Thread