Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Post pics of your farm set-up.

Settler
    World
    Zeus

Post pics of your farm set-up.

I'd like to see what everyone's farm arrangements look like, and hear how you decided to set it up that way.

I've set mine up in 4-square blocks with one field, a silo, and two farms. With the silo buffed, it's enough to serve the two farms; the field goes directly in front of the silo to give it a slight production advantage to account for downtime between buffs; and since farms seem to draw from resources more or less in a clockwise preference, they'll always draw from their own field and not from their neighboring blocks. I put two blocks in front of and two blocks behind the storehouses to save the sides for other high production buildings.

Spoiler

Before I got the silos I just had several farms lined up in front of the store house with long rows of fields in front of them. I don't think I would have come to the present arrangement if it weren't for Aunt Irma's feasts.

How 'bout you?

World
    Zeus

1 field, many farms

I have 4 groupings of farms. I got better at balancing them as I went:

A: 5 imp farm, 6 imp silo, 1 field:
    Spoiler

B: 6 imp farms ,6 imp silo, 1 silo, 1 field
    Spoiler

C: 4 imp farm, 4 imp silo, 1 field:
    Spoiler

D: 5 imp farm, 5 imp silo, 1 field:
    Spoiler

My goal was 1:1 imp farm to imp silo ratio where the farms can be buffed, but the silos do not need to be. I succeeded in groups C and D but had to add an extra imp silo or silo on A and B, respectively.

All this plus the epic farmyard produce 38k wheat per 12hr:
    Spoiler

(apologies for the lighting...the Sandman visits my island regularly )

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    My layout is based on EfficiencySmurf. Before there were silos or improved buildings, but the general concepts still apply.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwalben View Post
    My layout is based on EfficiencySmurf. Before there were silos or improved buildings, but the general concepts still apply.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
    I think it's neat how you have the silos in the optimum spots around the storehouse and the farms in an outer ring more or less (really noticeable in the second picture). I'll do this with my foresters and cutters when I'm trying to keep a lower ratio than what is recommended.

I had never never heard of EfficiencySmurf, but wow, that is an old-school discussion in that video. Silos and 24-hour buffs change everything, don't they.

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlaar View Post
    I have 4 groupings of farms. I got better at balancing them as I went:

A: 5 imp farm, 6 imp silo, 1 field:
    Spoiler

B: 6 imp farms ,6 imp silo, 1 silo, 1 field
    Spoiler

C: 4 imp farm, 4 imp silo, 1 field:
    Spoiler

D: 5 imp farm, 5 imp silo, 1 field:
    Spoiler

My goal was 1:1 imp farm to imp silo ratio where the farms can be buffed, but the silos do not need to be. I succeeded in groups C and D but had to add an extra imp silo or silo on A and B, respectively.

All this plus the epic farmyard produce 38k wheat per 12hr:
    Spoiler

(apologies for the lighting...the Sandman visits my island regularly )
    Even though you've gone entirely over to improved farms, that's a really practical use of a regular silo to just kind of trim the balance of production a tad. Sadly I wasn't able to see the images. I don't know if it's because the images themselves are corrupt or if it's because my browser is horribly out of date (probably the latter). I'll try to take look at them from a better computer today.

Administrator
    World
    Zeus
    I truly like this idea and I am glad so many are willing to share. This can be very beneficial for new players trying to figure out how to set up their island.

-BB_Odhran

Retired Community Leader
    World
    Ares
    Here is my primary farm setup, placed in sector 3.

My sister uses a somewhat lower set-up, placed in sector 9.

Veteran General
    World
    Ares

Pretty much just a 1:1 mirror wherever possible, 0 maintenance, no extras, no buffs.

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    I prefer the alternating silo / store 1 field per set set up... i learned it many years ago b4 the improved farms. granted i have more silos thanks to improved farms but by the time they were released my island was organized already;

I have 3 set ups like this in 3 sectors.

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurboth View Post
    Here is my primary farm setup, placed in sector 3.

My sister uses a somewhat lower set-up, placed in sector 9.

Wow, you have a lot of farms. And I like the way you basically set everything up half-and-half along an axis—farms on one side, and silos on the other, so you probably don't have to pay too close attention to actual travel times. As long as you keep roughly the same number of farms and silos on either side of the axis, you're probably in good shape. And it looks like your sister is following the same idea. Also, that field placement seems like it works really well with the improved storehouse. With it's dead-space in front, you aren't really losing out on anything by placing it there.

Reply to Thread