Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] Dev Notes Weekly Challenges

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Holistar View Post
    BB_Alex, the overall concept and execution is thoughtful and interesting, and the introduction of tokens to increase populations in buildings where we did not expect it is terrific. Making it optional is great, for those weeks when we just don't want to redirect out resources.

I would simply broaden the "adventures" category. The idea I liked best from players was to make the adventures fall in a difficulty category, e.g., run three adventures difficulty ten and up"--that, in and of itself, will get many players to push themselves that week. If you feel that is too broad, then at least give a few options for the adventures to be run, like "run three Ali Baba" or "run three of any combination of the following four adventures". For the quest chain with Whirlwind, well at least expand it to include all co-ops, as Tomb Raiders is popular and attainable, if you want to include co-ops as the category.

That's my main recommendation. I'm happy to earn the tokens, and also happy to try the quest chains, plus feel okay ignoring them if I don't want to expend the time and resources.

Thank you for the new content, regardless. It just needs a little tweakoning for our Happy Holiday seasonings!

(I DO appreciate BB's ideas and work, very much!)
    Since my previous reply seems to have been purged, here goes another try...

TL;DR - Not worth it without serious fixes.

I've tried three of the Weekly Challenges so I could say I knew what I was talking about, and for two reasons I come down firmly on the side of Not Worth It. The Challenges are far too 'all or nothing' to be worth the required investment.

Reason 1 - The Adventure side of things is simply broken. For the vast majority of players the Challenges require Adventures/Scenarios that are rare or essentially unavailable without dedicating an unreasonable amount of time and resources. Especially given the Dev Notes, this seems intentional, so that points to either poor or malicious game design.

Solution 1 - as suggested by many, simply expanding the selection of Adventures/Scenarios to include all of a given category (Ali Babas/Co-ops/Scenarios/etc) would go a long way to balancing the 'fun' with the 'challenge', because currently the Challenges are none of the former and an unreasonable amount of the latter.

Reason 2 - Purging 2561 Troops per cycle of four Challenges. This unreasonably ties up our Troop production during the same time we need those buildings to make Troops to complete the Adventures required for the Challenge.

Solution 2 - Add in an additional Adventure that uses the Troops representing the Resources BB wants us to burn. At least that way we get something (XP and Loot) for the headache. I'd rather run an extra VLT or YWC than purge 2561 Troops.

Bonus fix - make the Search requirement "X Search *or longer*". All my Explorers are always out on Prolonged. Unfortunate timing means I could be waiting a day or more to turn them around onto something shorter.

Global solution - scale the Token Rewards so you get a small amount for each stage of the Challenge, with a bonus at the end. That way players who can't get the required Adventures/Scenarios can still participate but those who do the whole thing are rewarded for their efforts. Some participation encourages more participation down the road, while shutting players out entirely just creates annoyance and frustration which creates bitterness that leads to less participation in the future.

...but that's just basic game design.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Comparing this to Crisis Events doesn't make much sense because the rewards from those are greater by roughly an order of magnitude. The most recent crisis dropped a building with 120 pop vs 20 pop for the weekly and that doesn't include all the other perks along the way. The weekly tasks can be difficult as long as the rewards are comparable to the difficulty.

Also the adventure/co-op issue needs fixing.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Beel78 View Post
    I hate saying this, but...I do not think people should be handed out tokens....Not counting the adventure requirements of the weekly, if anyone is having issues with the resource aspect, that means they leveled up too fast due to free hand outs. Just like handing them free tokens. I agree this weekly quest has some.....issues and, I think a few tweaks would really make it great but, I do not expect to do it weekly and why should anyone unless they are willing to actually pay for it? It is a reward system in the game (flawed at the moment) but people should not just be handed out free tokens. They are hard to get...for a reason...for those that use that extra population because their islands are already jammed packed and this offers a bonus...at a price. I am OKAY with that aspect. Frodo wouldn't be a hero if he only went halfway to Mordor and turned around. You don't win a marathon for stopping half way... you don't conquer an objective by only doing it halfassed.
    Bad analogy. Frodo was too weak. The ring never would have been destroyed if he didn't get his knuckle gnawed off by Gollum. Besides, Sam was the real hero. Ask Tolkien. No tokens for you!

World
    Ares
    Allow us to buy Wisdom & Besieged with map frags (they're just burning holes in my storehouse anyhow)

World
    Zeus
    Okay- I just got to the quest stage requiring me to play Whirlwood with 3 other players!?? Good god.

PLEASE get rid of Co-OP adventures requirement. Trying to convince and hustle 3 other players into doing whirlwood and waiting for them to complete it - WTF.

Look, everybody else has their own adventure challenge problems. Some have to do 3 maps. You really think they're going to want to do YOUR map as well and blow off that many troops on YOUR co-op map when they have their own solo maps they have to deal with.

Come on Developers, have a clue. Get rid of these Co-OP maps.

World
    Zeus
    A simple solution to solve the problem in Archaeological Excavation of running 3 Storm Recovery's would be to radically adjust the grout requirement for said scenario. Either lower the requirement or refund it in loot.

Anybody doing Very Long Adventure searches is going to be sitting on a ton of these, so availability certainly is not the problem. The problem is requiring 1,100 grout 3 times to finish a quest awarding 25 tokens.

If you look at the table of requirements on wiki for this scenario all the other resource requirements are actually OK, but nobody wants to do this because grout is so dear. An alternative method of lowering grout would be to swap it with granite. Only 300 granite is required per scenario. So swap and make it 300 grout, 1,100 granite, everybody now loves it or at least will possibly do it.

http://settlersonlinewiki.eu/en/adve...torm-recovery/ If you look at the requirements it's like one of those "pick the item that doesn't belong" tests you'd get in 2nd grade.
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Perwyn View Post
    A simple solution to solve the problem in Archaeological Excavation of running 3 Storm Recovery's would be to radically adjust the grout requirement for said scenario. Either lower the requirement or refund it in loot.

Anybody doing Very Long Adventure searches is going to be sitting on a ton of these, so availability certainly is not the problem. The problem is requiring 1,100 grout 3 times to finish a quest awarding 25 tokens.

If you look at the table of requirements on wiki for this scenario all the other resource requirements are actually OK, but nobody wants to do this because grout is so dear. An alternative method of lowering grout would be to swap it with granite. Only 300 granite is required per scenario. So swap and make it 300 grout, 1,100 granite, everybody now loves it or at least will possibly do it.

http://settlersonlinewiki.eu/en/adve...torm-recovery/ If you look at the requirements it's like one of those "pick the item that doesn't belong" tests you'd get in 2nd grade.
    ...or just replace it with a list of options, because I know I'm simply not doing it. As it stands I'm ignoring all the Challenges until BB revisits them, because they simply aren't either fun or worth the effort.

...and when a five-year, L60 player* says they aren't having fun and are skipping whole sections of your game (PvP and Weekly Challenges) maybe it's time to revisit your game balance.

*and the overwhelming majority of their Guild

Settler
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by RonEmpire View Post
    Okay- I just got to the quest stage requiring me to play Whirlwood with 3 other players!?? Good god.

PLEASE get rid of Co-OP adventures requirement. Trying to convince and hustle 3 other players into doing whirlwood and waiting for them to complete it - WTF.

Look, everybody else has their own adventure challenge problems. Some have to do 3 maps. You really think they're going to want to do YOUR map as well and blow off that many troops on YOUR co-op map when they have their own solo maps they have to deal with.

Come on Developers, have a clue. Get rid of these Co-OP maps.
    I have seen a lot of people doing co op in guild or in trade, I think that part is not quite as difficult as some people say. I think the major issue is still the availability of follow up adventures

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis69 View Post
    I have seen a lot of people doing co op in guild or in trade, I think that part is not quite as difficult as some people say. I think the major issue is still the availability of follow up adventures
    difficulty of the quest isn't the issue. but relying on other players or having to try to constantly fish for players especially in a dead guild or players that aren't your level in the guild can be difficult or annoying.

this doesn't make the quest predictable/reliable.

The point here is this is YOUR CHALLENGE. it's not somebody else's challenge. it should not depend on any other player but yourself. and should not depend on any luck factors such as treasure drops or map drops.

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Perwyn View Post
    I just got this Challenge. 1100 grout, 450 magic beans for each Storm Recovery. I won't do it.

I like challenges, but not being frustrated by arbitrarily difficult and expensive hurdles.
    I play this game for fun, and sense of progress over time.

Reply to Thread