Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What happens after Flash is gone in year 2020?

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Is beginning to smell a lot like the demise of Anno back in 2018 sadly.

Community Manager
    World
    Zeus
    "We can confirm that we do NOT plan to end our game. At this moment we're testing Flash alternatives, to choose the one suiting best to our game. Once the decision is made, it will be announced with instructions. Thank you for your patience" It's our TWEET from February.

Once there is any update, I will post it.

World
    Zeus
    Thanks for the info BB_Trafffer. Glad to hear the game is going to continue after Flash. TSO-AF-21!
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

Retired Community Leader ShuttlePilot's Avatar
    World
    Zeus
    Thank you so much BB_Trafffer . The game has such a loyal following, and now with the 30th Anniversary of The Settlers franchise rapidly approaching, it could be a great draw for new players who don't use Steam, or aren't sure about downloading full games, etc. Hence the appeal to many of browser based games.

Those of us who have been here for a long time came for the game, and stayed for the game! But we also stay for the great social aspect it provides, which in today's world with all of the at home sheltering necessary has become very critical for a lot of folks. That aside, some of my closest friends of the last near decade are our [TC] wolf pack. We have supported one another together through thick and thin, have celebrated babies being born, children raised, and have shared the sadness of members passing away. All of those are testament to how successfully BB has kept the game going.

The BBs have done an amazing job of keeping the game fresh, fun, and interesting all these years and often it is easy for players to forget to say thanks for a great game that has kept us around! So thanks ! And as Perwyn said: Here's to TSO-AF-21 !!

ShuttlePilot
    Guild Leader, The Creators
    Guild Leader, The Creators

That which does not bore me, makes me stranger...

Settler
    World
    Ares
    Yup that sure puts my mind at ease(not enough to spend money) An update saying there is no update lol.

World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Trafffer View Post
    "We can confirm that we do NOT plan to end our game. At this moment we're testing Flash alternatives, to choose the one suiting best to our game. Once the decision is made, it will be announced with instructions. Thank you for your patience" It's our TWEET from February.

Once there is any update, I will post it.
    Oh I hope it's true! I've been scaling back so the withdrawal wouldn't be so stark after the Flash Funeral, but if there is life after flash... well, as they say, "that's a game changer!"

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    Well I will live in hope. The reason the tpoic keeps coming up is because non-tech types play the game and they have to click that "allow flash" thing every time, and now when that pops up it says "flash will no longer be supported after December 2020", and encourages you to turn it off.

Y'can't blame people for being worried. As for "slim client" or whatever it's called, I tried an early version and it wasn't much good. I trust it's been improved.

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    I've tried the slim client briefly. Seemed generally functional, when it was functioning (didn't work at all until I reinstalled VLC with special settings), which it seems to not be currently with the new Ubisoft login. Not being able to play on mobile would be the biggest drawback for me.

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    According to a post on adobe from microsoft they will stop thier browsers from running flash and its plugins the other browsers will do the same then it wont matter on BB intention they will blame them for the closure of the game after taking everyones money with increased gem sales

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    This is what worries me. I use a version of chromium (not chrome itself) but the core code is the same. If the browsers all stop allowing flash then an alternative has to be available, and I'm concerned about the development of that. The upshot is that I thought about buying gems to get long-term premium just today, and decided against it. Mind you, another thing that I don't like is the ever increasing gem prices for things. Recent things in the gem shop cost a substantial wedge of gems, which translates into a significant amount of $$ even when it's happy hour.

On another game I play, they switched from flash to HTML5 earlier this year and despite that they had already been developing the new version for some time, the changeover wasn't as smooth as either the players or no doubt the devs wanted. I can't help feeling that BB/Ubisoft ought at least to be beta-test of a solid replacement by now. I'm also not 100% convinced that a client which is basically a cut-down browser running flash anyhow is going to be possible to maintain long-term. Despite that a lot of people were using it, Adobe have decided to end Flash, citing that keeping it updated and secure wasn't viable. Of course, that might just be an excuse, Adobe are good at killing off anything that seems like competition

Closed Thread