Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Market is NOT 5x5

Soldier
    World
    Zeus

Christmas Market is NOT 5x5

5x5 would indicate it'll buff buildings 2 tiles away in each direction. They don't, they buff 1 tile. That is 3x3 not 5x5.

World
    Ares
    It also isn't additive. If you have another buff in place, it does nothing. I was rather hoping that it would function like zone buffs since it's such a hassle to have to move production bldgs just to make space for it. Moving those bldgs also decreases the production ratio because you have to move it from an optimum position to one that drops the production rate.

Noble
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Spleeter View Post
    5x5 would indicate it'll buff buildings 2 tiles away in each direction. They don't, they buff 1 tile. That is 3x3 not 5x5.
    uh no. because if it did 2 in each direction, that would be 2 on one side and two on the other side plus the width of the building itself so 7. They count the building itself as a 3x3 area, so one more to each side makes it 5x5. (one side extra makes 4 and one more on other side makes 5.)

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Trialgame View Post
    uh no. because if it did 2 in each direction, that would be 2 on one side and two on the other side plus the width of the building itself so 7. They count the building itself as a 3x3 area, so one more to each side makes it 5x5. (one side extra makes 4 and one more on other side makes 5.)

Your picture suggests that even the smallest building is 4x4 tiles. If that's the case, then I am wrong and the whole game is rather stupid. And the 5x5 was never going to do as one would assume and buff things a building away from it. I find that pretty misleading but then BB is good at that these days.

World
    Zeus
    If you look carefully at the way the green grid lays out: the left and bottom has 2 tiles worth of room, the top and right has 1 tile worth of room. For the top and right, this 1 tile is all that needs to be touching a building for it to be buffed. The left and bottom needs to have 2 tiles touching a building for the buff to take.

A normal building is 2x2.

If you were to start from the bottom left corner and moving right, place 3 buildings, all 3 should get a buff. If you go back to the bottom left and move up, you can place 2 more buildings. Continue this pattern all the way around the market building. I'm not sure about the top right corner position, but all the others should catch a buff.

Keep in mind, this layout isn't going to be optimal for a 9x9 or 11x11 grid, but if someone's only concerned with the 5x5 is should give the best results. Hope this helps.

Edit: Added screenshot.

Went back to my island and did a quick layout to illustrate my explanation. You can see the blue level numbers above each building indicating it is going to be buffed. If you have a large enough open area you should be able to buff 8 buildings on a 5x5 grid/buff.

"Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

Noble
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Perwyn View Post
    A normal building is 2x2.
    Actually that isn't how buildings work in this game. It is just how we the players decided they work.

We, the players look at buildings by the blue spots and so we say 2x2. However BB counts them by the green spots (which follow the roads) and so 3x3 for the same building, and yes they consider the building areas to be overlapping. So if we were to include the roads they would appear like this:

Note that the buff grid square the road is on, then counts for both the building on each side of the road. Because of that the true building placement on that buff grid actually looks like this:

Notice the overlap with each building. We don't think of it because we look at that 2x2 idea and see them as separate, but BB sees them both as overlapping because the same road touches both and the buff grid follows the roads.

So going back to the second picture and adding more roads through the center of each buff tile, we end up with this:

which shows you the familiar 2x2 shape we all know and love. As you see, multiple buildings can overlap on the same buff tile without overlapping on the land placement grid (2x2 grid we see when placing buildings)

Now as far as how it is decided how each building counts towards getting the buff or not, as long as the center spot of the buildings 'true zone' is covered by a buff tile, it will be buffed. That means the center tile where the roads would intersect in the middle of the building. Also the true zone refers to the '2x2' construction site that gets put up while the building is placed and NOT the buildings actual size. For example a friary is 2x3 (to us) when finished but while constructing it is a 2x2 square that is on the left side of the friary. The extra size gets added to the right side of the building, but does not affect the buildings true zone. Thus to buff a friary you would need to cover the center of the left side.

Noble
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Spleeter View Post
    Your picture suggests that even the smallest building is 4x4 tiles. If that's the case, then I am wrong and the whole game is rather stupid. And the 5x5 was never going to do as one would assume and buff things a building away from it. I find that pretty misleading but then BB is good at that these days.
    Where are you getting 4? You can even see the 3 in the picture. You keep thinking that adding 1 to each side just means 1. It doesn't. 1 to each side with 2 sides means 2. So a 3 width adding one on each side becomes 5, not 4.

World
    Zeus
    Trialgame, if you look at my screen shot, even tho a 3x3 highligted grid space surrounds the market, the buildings on the left and the bottom are taking up 1 of those highlighted spaces. So either these are all 2x2 buildings OR, all buildings are 3x3 and not only do they touch, they also overlap.

From my own experience with setups absolutely know that the bottom row, if moved down 1 grid space will not get a buff while the right and top will get a buff with only 1 grid space covering them. Not absolutely sure on the left because of space limits I encountered, but am fairly certain it's the same way along that grid section.
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

Noble
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Perwyn View Post
    Trialgame, if you look at my screen shot, even tho a 3x3 highligted grid space surrounds the market, the buildings on the left and the bottom are taking up 1 of those highlighted spaces. So either these are all 2x2 buildings OR, all buildings are 3x3 and not only do they touch, they also overlap.

From my own experience with setups absolutely know that the bottom row, if moved down 1 grid space will not get a buff while the right and top will get a buff with only 1 grid space covering them. Not absolutely sure on the left because of space limits I encountered, but am fairly certain it's the same way along that grid section.
    Explained in the edits I made. Sorry it took me a bit to redraw your screenshots. Also, I apologize if it is confusing.

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Trialgame View Post
    Explained in the edits I made. Sorry it took me a bit to redraw your screenshots. Also, I apologize if it is confusing.
    I appreciate you taking the time to illustrate your points. Since you're approaching this from a designer/programmer view, yeah, it does get a little confusing, but I do comprehend what you're saying. I think ultimately we're both travelling across the same terrain and arriving at the same destination by following different but similar maps.

Bottom line, this is a true 5x5 grid in the sense that it will buff a 6x6 square of buildings with proper placement regardless of if the description is from a programmer perspective calling the buildings 3x3 or an end user perspective calling the buildings 2x2.

Reply to Thread