Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] Changelog 09.04.2019

Administrator
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by LordMadmax View Post
    Thank You Ubisoft for creating the Settlers game which has kept me busy for 7 years.
    Nice work on 7 years! That's difficult to stick out in any game!

-BB_Odhran

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Trialgame View Post
    You know something, it IS a petty thing. I know that's true.

Now sure I understand that change from a business' perspective, but from a player's perspective it destroys both my enjoyment in the game and my trust in the game maker. These events suck now. I have to work more in the game than I have to at my real job if I want it all. Every event over the last year has left me feeling mentally drained and irritated. I usually can't even force myself to do adventures for at least a month after. Hell aside from the necessary wisdoms for a weekly, I have barely done anything since Valentine's. I am already starting to HATE this game. At this point, the only reasons I log in are habit and because I am close to 75. I am honestly sick of this.
    Well said.

exactly. and on the same vein -- i did a people of the mountain the other day - my 1st one.. the adv was so convoluted and confusing EVEN with me checking 4 different guides. The design was near impossible to see .. at all... ( i mean i spent HOURS looking for the stupid well not realizing it was a frigging camp to kill because the quest was so vague) I cleared out all my elite troops in it .. 8 days recovery for those... lost 4 assassins, 4 arrows, 4 ballistas.... (and i can only buy 1 a day)... I walked away not wanting to touch the game for a month. I enjoy a challenge but the quests were so vague i was left with no direction.. The person(s) who designed the mountain clan should be. imho ..moved to a job that programs something like a farmlife type app.

and now...after that .. i'm actually dreading easter event... seeing how someone at level 67, and after 7 years of playing, will not get even 1/2 of the loot - never mind help out my fellow guildies which i should be able to do at my level.

I seems to me, bb wants to have us all leave by attrition rather than maybe have the game die from flash leaving... least it feels like it after valentine's and now reading on the loot drop / pricing / requirements of easter's event.

Settler
    World
    Zeus

The thing is, I used to love this game. When I first started playing and it was fresh and new I played it basically every spare moment I had. I remember one three day binge where I used a one day premium token and stayed up for 24 hours straight grinding exp. Then when it wore out I had a good sleep, only to wake up, pop another 1 day premium and grind for another 24 hours straight. Maybe it was tedious but that's the game. Thankfully, we had events every now and then to break up the monotony with some holiday fun. Celebrate the holiday season, have some fun, collect some cool prizes. And yeah if you wanted to work hard you could clear it in a week, but who cares? Why shouldn't I be able to enjoy the event how I like? If I am willing to put in that effort why shouldn't I get that reward?

But somewhere it started to go wrong. Someone decided that events should be more difficult and punishing instead of fun and carefree. So they lowered the event returns and increased the prices as a test, and when it was over they made a poll to see what the players thought. Unsurprisingly the majority of people hated it. But that meant little to the devs as with the next event it got worse and with the event after it got even worse still. More and more people objected that it wasn't fun anymore but the response just turned to, "You shouldn't be able to get everything!"

Why, I ask you, should we not be able to get everything? If I play for years and work to collect all the resources possible to make these events easier (more explorers and generals for faster adventuring plus skills to improve both), why should it be harder for me now than it was before? Why, because BB is a business and by making it too hard to get everything it 'encourages' players to spend money on gems to buy the items.

Now sure I understand that change from a business' perspective, but from a player's perspective it destroys both my enjoyment in the game and my trust in the game maker. These events suck now. I have to work more in the game than I have to at my real job if I want it all. Every event over the last year has left me feeling mentally drained and irritated. I usually can't even force myself to do adventures for at least a month after. Hell aside from the necessary wisdoms for a weekly, I have barely done anything since Valentine's. I am already starting to HATE this game. At this point, the only reasons I log in are habit and because I am close to 75. I am honestly sick of this.

So what does all this have to do with that 'petty crap', you might ask? It is simple. The events are already not fun anymore. They are just an carrot on a stick to make you grind harder and sell all your stuff to get those prizes just so you can feel like you didn't miss out on something that half the time doesn't even work properly anyway. The last bastion of their appeal is the holiday aspect for me. That little boost to not only the game but to the holidays themselves. It is nice to go to places and see the holiday stuff everywhere and just feel that holiday mood and come home and have your game join in on the fun as part of it all.

An event without that spirit is just a boring repetitive grind, and that is already what the non-event time is. If the events that are supposed to be our break from that become worse than that themselves, then how can it even be called a game anymore? With no fun, it just becomes work, and since I am not getting paid for this, the incentive to continue diminishes with every choice like they make.
    +1
    I have to add I am already lvl 75, I stopped playing last year for like 6 months when BB nerfed Pathfinder rewards... came back for my friends. Now I'm tired and sick of all the crappy things they are throwing at us and I suppose I will take another break after Easter...

THEIR game, THEIR decisions, I keep telling to myself... BUT... MY time, MY choice to play it or not...

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Odhran View Post
    Nice work on 7 years! That's difficult to stick out in any game!

-BB_Odhran
    It's actually not so hard to do since the game has continued to progress and evolve over those 7 years. I've done my share of ranting, raving, & carrying on in that time, (and sometimes it was even justified ). But overall this is the best game I've ever played. Hope it stays around for quite a while longer.
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

World
    Zeus
    When it comes to BB “encouraging” people to spend money on gems by making events more difficult it helps to bear in mind the amount of “free” there actually is in this game. Unike some games that allow you to play up to a certain level and then require payment to advance to higher levels, a person can go from level 1 to 75 without ever spending a dime in TSO. Yes, it's harder than parting with a few bucks, but it's entirely possible and many people do play for free.

And how about these?

Q: Is it possible to obtain better Generals than Taverns without spending money?

A: Yes, if a person is patient various Generals are available from events. Also, the Major can be purchased for resources obtained during normal gameplay (free of charge).

Q: Is it possible to obtain better Explorers and Geologists than the Tavern ones without spending money?

A: Yes, Explorers & Geologists are both obtainable from various events.

Q: What about special buildings?

A: Most, if not all special buildings are introduced during events. At times BB will even make a building the reward for completing a fairly simple quest spanning the length of the event. Yes, it requires a person to log on, but doesn't require them to open their wallet.

Q: Is it possible to obtain gems without spending money?

A: Yes, a limited amount of gems are available for free. Logging on every day provides a weekly bonus of 100 gems. Every week it's possible to purchase 100 gems for 600 star coins. Several of the Excelsior quests drop 50 gems as part of a reward for completion. While it's not a huge amount, over time enough gems can be saved to make modest purchases in the shop.

I guess you must be getting my drift by now, huh?

One final thought/analogy:

TSO in its current form is like being able to walk into your local pizza parlor and getting a medium pepperoni pizza free of charge multiple times a year. If you want more toppings, or a larger size, or a combination thereof, it will cost you money. I don't see anything wrong with that.
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

Settler
    World
    Ares

The thing is, I used to love this game. When I first started playing and it was fresh and new I played it basically every spare moment I had. I remember one three day binge where I used a one day premium token and stayed up for 24 hours straight grinding exp. Then when it wore out I had a good sleep, only to wake up, pop another 1 day premium and grind for another 24 hours straight. Maybe it was tedious but that's the game. Thankfully, we had events every now and then to break up the monotony with some holiday fun. Celebrate the holiday season, have some fun, collect some cool prizes. And yeah if you wanted to work hard you could clear it in a week, but who cares? Why shouldn't I be able to enjoy the event how I like? If I am willing to put in that effort why shouldn't I get that reward?

But somewhere it started to go wrong. Someone decided that events should be more difficult and punishing instead of fun and carefree. So they lowered the event returns and increased the prices as a test, and when it was over they made a poll to see what the players thought. Unsurprisingly the majority of people hated it. But that meant little to the devs as with the next event it got worse and with the event after it got even worse still. More and more people objected that it wasn't fun anymore but the response just turned to, "You shouldn't be able to get everything!"

Why, I ask you, should we not be able to get everything? If I play for years and work to collect all the resources possible to make these events easier (more explorers and generals for faster adventuring plus skills to improve both), why should it be harder for me now than it was before? Why, because BB is a business and by making it too hard to get everything it 'encourages' players to spend money on gems to buy the items.

So what does all this have to do with that 'petty crap', you might ask? It is simple. The events are already not fun anymore. They are just an carrot on a stick to make you grind harder and sell all your stuff to get those prizes just so you can feel like you didn't miss out on something that half the time doesn't even work properly anyway. The last bastion of their appeal is the holiday aspect for me. That little boost to not only the game but to the holidays themselves. It is nice to go to places and see the holiday stuff everywhere and just feel that holiday mood and come home and have your game join in on the fun as part of it all.

An event without that spirit is just a boring repetitive grind, and that is already what the non-event time is. If the events that are supposed to be our break from that become worse than that themselves, then how can it even be called a game anymore? With no fun, it just becomes work, and since I am not getting paid for this, the incentive to continue diminishes with every choice like they make.
    I agree with your post.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Perwyn View Post
    When it comes to BB “encouraging” people to spend money on gems by making events more difficult it helps to bear in mind the amount of “free” there actually is in this game. Unike some games that allow you to play up to a certain level and then require payment to advance to higher levels, a person can go from level 1 to 75 without ever spending a dime in TSO. Yes, it's harder than parting with a few bucks, but it's entirely possible and many people do play for free.

. . .

Q: Is it possible to obtain gems without spending money?

A: Yes, a limited amount of gems are available for free. Logging on every day provides a weekly bonus of 100 gems. Every week it's possible to purchase 100 gems for 600 star coins. Several of the Excelsior quests drop 50 gems as part of a reward for completion. While it's not a huge amount, over time enough gems can be saved to make modest purchases in the shop.

I guess you must be getting my drift by now, huh?

One final thought/analogy:

TSO in its current form is like being able to walk into your local pizza parlor and getting a medium pepperoni pizza free of charge multiple times a year. If you want more toppings, or a larger size, or a combination thereof, it will cost you money. I don't see anything wrong with that.
    Excellent post. I also want to mention three other ways to get gems without paying for them. At many (not all) levels you can get gems when leveling up. Also, there are many achievements that pay a reward of gems. Finally, you can buy a gem pit (for 20k gems) and get back double (40k) - and you can do this up to ten times.

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    But somewhere it started to go wrong. Someone decided that events should be more difficult and punishing instead of fun and carefree. So they lowered the event returns and increased the prices as a test, and when it was over they made a poll to see what the players thought. Unsurprisingly the majority of people hated it. But that meant little to the devs as with the next event it got worse and with the event after it got even worse still....
    Maybe its some sort of psychological experiment to see how much it takes to make everyone quit, lol.
    They are probably measuring activity/inactivity after each rotten thing they do, thinking wow this group is stubborn, lol.

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    By the way, there's still issues with the observatory, not totally fixed according to help chat.

Administrator
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliNel View Post
    By the way, there's still issues with the observatory, not totally fixed according to help chat.
    Dev team has been made aware of issues still with quartermaster generals and the observatory. When I get more information regarding this I will update this thread. Also if there are more generals causing issues, please do let us know!

-BB_Odhran

Reply to Thread