Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Do you have a Geologist with the "Lucky Find" skill?

  1. #1
    Settler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    164
    World
    Zeus

    Do you have a Geologist with the "Lucky Find" skill?

    Which geologist do you have with this skill? Please share your skill tree bookings. I'm looking to see what different people consider to be the important points.


  2. #2
    Mayor
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,444
    World
    Ares
    I only have it for the pathfinder task that I hardly ever get to find an extra marble deposit. Filled in all the manuscripts, all the tomes but three, and lucky find. Probably not what you were looking for, but it is a use. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother for a 15% chance, and especially compared to 8% bigger deposits of all types.

  3. #3
    Veteran General
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    770
    World
    Ares
    Literally only picked up for the achievement and dropped an arctic on the iron one, marble is w/e

  4. #4
    Settler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    149
    World
    Zeus
    same here I only have one with this skill and only used once to get Marble and Iron additional deposit and then dropped a more perm mine type on.

    Since then I never had to use this skill and when I first ran it yes you have to re-send and deplete mine and re-try a multiples times.

    It is not a skill geo you would want to send every day to find and re-find that additional deposit.
    When you have found the Iron & Marble try to keep those location with deposit so it never deplete and you kind of forget about it..never have to re-use that skill. setup 1 geo with the skill use it.. and then forget about that skill use it for other deposit that is why the other skills from the tree should mostly find efficient shaft and larger deposit dont good that Lucky Find skill on the cool geo. use it on a regular not special one.
    The special one you would probably want to have the bigger depo skill...

    good luck!

  5. #5
    Settler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    164
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwalben View Post
    I only have it for the pathfinder task that I hardly ever get to find an extra marble deposit. Filled in all the manuscripts, all the tomes but three, and lucky find. Probably not what you were looking for, but it is a use. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother for a 15% chance, and especially compared to 8% bigger deposits of all types.
    Thanks for replying. So you basically just filled in all the least expensive books just to get up to Lucky Find? That's the kind of perspective I'm looking for. With all the new really good geologists coming out, I've found I hardly use my tavern geos anymore. So I was thinking it might make sense to book one of the tavern guys to Lucky Find, just to have the ability to find the extra deposits whenever it might be suitable.

  6. #6
    Settler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    164
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceruhe View Post
    Literally only picked up for the achievement and dropped an arctic on the iron one, marble is w/e
    That's along the lines of what I was thinking… Just get one low-end geo for the task of just finding the extra mine, and then placing an industrial mine there to keep that resource node alive. …even if it's asleep 90% of the time.

  7. #7
    Settler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    164
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by bashing View Post
    same here I only have one with this skill and only used once to get Marble and Iron additional deposit and then dropped a more perm mine type on.

    Since then I never had to use this skill and when I first ran it yes you have to re-send and deplete mine and re-try a multiples times.

    It is not a skill geo you would want to send every day to find and re-find that additional deposit.
    When you have found the Iron & Marble try to keep those location with deposit so it never deplete and you kind of forget about it..never have to re-use that skill. setup 1 geo with the skill use it.. and then forget about that skill use it for other deposit that is why the other skills from the tree should mostly find efficient shaft and larger deposit dont good that Lucky Find skill on the cool geo. use it on a regular not special one.
    The special one you would probably want to have the bigger depo skill...

    good luck!
    I'm glad to hear that I'm kind of thinking along the same lines as everyone else. With all the new geologists—stone cold, charming guy and versed guy, etc. etc.—I haven't been sending out my tavern guys at all. It seems like one of them would be perfect for a dedicated "extra-node" guy. Did you unbook yours, though, after he found the extra resource points?

  8. #8
    Mayor
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,444
    World
    Ares
    I have throw away manuscripts on all my specialists because it's cheaper than having throw away tomes or codices. Of course, you need to make sure you really don't want to have any of the skills you are passing up because rebooking to fix one or two out of place books really sucks.

    I picked my conscientious because I wasn't using him anywhere else. Makes sense to have a +100% speed. For a skill I only use once every few months, any would probably do. I haven't used my taverns since probably six months into playing since jolly geologists are a lot better and pretty cheap. Now I have about twenty geologists I never use. I've been tempted to cannibalize those who have books for their books but haven't reached the need yet. Same for reapers and regular quartermasters.

  9. #9
    Settler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    164
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwalben View Post
    I have throw away manuscripts on all my specialists because it's cheaper than having throw away tomes or codices. Of course, you need to make sure you really don't want to have any of the skills you are passing up because rebooking to fix one or two out of place books really sucks.

    I picked my conscientious because I wasn't using him anywhere else. Makes sense to have a +100% speed. For a skill I only use once every few months, any would probably do. I haven't used my taverns since probably six months into playing since jolly geologists are a lot better and pretty cheap. Now I have about twenty geologists I never use. I've been tempted to cannibalize those who have books for their books but haven't reached the need yet. Same for reapers and regular quartermasters.
    I finally booked up the geo I was thinking about months ago. Decided to go with a Conscientious, figuring if there's only a 15% chance of making a lucky find, then maybe he would get more bites at the apple. I'm not sure if that's how it works or not, but since I seldom use the guy otherwise, there's nothing lost booking him this way.

    I booked him with the abilities that increase the chances of finding two marble or two iron veins, and also the abilities which decrease search times. This totally filled out the manuscript tier, 12 tomes mid-tier, and then four codices.

    I sent him out to look for marble, and he found the extra deposit on the first try. I don't know if that was just pure luck, or if the way I'd booked him actually helped out. But finding the extra iron deposit took a while longer—maybe a dozen tries over a day and a half. Then I learned from a guildmate that there's a second extra marble deposit that can be found, and again that took about a dozen tries over a couple of days.

    I plopped an industrial mine down on the iron deposit and put it to sleep, and loaded up the extra marble deposits with 1,000 extra marble each, so it will probably be a while before I use this guy again. Mainly he's a back-up geologist for when I let most of my mines go down and need to find a bunch quickly.

    Thank you to everyone in this thread for your input.


  10. #10
    Noble
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    401
    World
    Zeus
    I've actually booked my geos pretty strongly - mainly the goldies and the iron ones, just to keep those alive. I think I have one iron with the "find extra" and one of the stone cold with a "find extra" also - usually I don't have to do anything surprising to get them to trigger for the pathfinder quests.

Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts