Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: [Feedback] Dev Diary Valentine 2020 Event

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliNel View Post
    Will we be able to turn in our unused cards to the mayor's house to get back the resources after the event? It wasn't i Dev's Diary this time.
    Not mentioned, so I wouldn't count on it. :/

Settler
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliNel View Post
    Will we be able to turn in our unused cards to the mayor's house to get back the resources after the event? It wasn't i Dev's Diary this time.
    My guild leader on Newfoundland server sent this info to the guild: "valentine cards and boxes will convert to employee of the month badges."

I'm not sure where she got the information, but she always seems to be right, so I assume she likely is this time too.

Settler
    World
    Ares
    Now that the event is moving to 2nd phase. some thoughts.
    1. rewards were good. observation, weather are both big tickets that were doable.
    2. getting th goodes was also doable. with a pack of exploters you can do pretty well. have to stay at it though.
    3. I liked the deempasis on grinding. yes you hd to do some for the refills but it was something that maybe 5 hours could accomplish .
    4. pfb was required. in fact, i would say they will be in most all events from now on. I will stockpile for that.

Thnks for a good event. appreciate the game. been at it for so long its amazing how it can keep me interested.

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    I was worried about the event when all of the changes (read: making it harder to accumulate event resources) were announced, but at the end of the day, it was not as bad as I feared. I managed to almost get everything on my original wish list from now 65 explorers being sent without much interruption on mostly medium and long searches and fields running for about 19 days.

I had to fill in some gaps in flowers through trade, for which there was a market, but more than twice as expensive as any previous event due to the heightened scarcity.

My plan going into this was what I did last year: run a bunch of 2nd Thiefs by myself and self buff cards (last year I did that more because the cards were broken). Instead, I found people swapping and joined in. I had never done a loot spot before, but this way I got to help people out and only had to do half the adventures I had planned, making the event somewhat grindy still but not that bad. Card swaps were also plentiful and easy to find. With that said, though nobody believes still the explanation for the nerfs to the event, I did feel very much encouraged to cooperate and not do things so solo as I normally do.

Triple loot was a nice side benefit. I was starting to get worried about running out of beans, but now I'm set for a while.

Not quite sure about the chocolatier yet. I'll bump one up to level 3, but for now I'm just using the level 1 buffs. I can see the potential value in the glue but will stick for hide glue for now.

Love tree is better than I expected. They didn't quite pay for themselves, but probably a good 40%. This is the first event I didn't go for explorers first, and it was the right choice. The range is good enough that I'll figure out some other way to use them during normal play, but this will be useful during Halloween as well.

Bundle is nice. Nothing I would have bought separately or really needed, but still some nice stuff and good to have the option.

Retired Community Leader ShuttlePilot's Avatar
    World
    Zeus
    Enjoyed the event, but frankly did not love it. The greatest contributing factor to that was the less than ideal timing on the flower fields. I am still perplexed on why 35 minutes to produce one flower rather than *any* time amount of which 60 minutes is divisible. It really made it such an absolute pain to time buffs and made the buffs so inefficient. 30 minutes would have been what a reasonable player would have appreciated.

The co-ops, while fun initially, became grindy, and for people who are not in a well-oiled guild like ours I can only imagine how frustrating they may have been. The idea behind them, was cool though.

Would have been nice to have had flowers as collectibles, especially as lower level and newer players who do not have a scrillion booked up Scouts were really hard pressed to garner enough flowers for some of the nice ticket items.

The achievements were fun, the Love Tree will prove itself useful and I hope it shows up again next year, and the Chocolatier was also very worth getting (for me). Rather than multiples of special buildings in order to shorten cool downs, I still think it would be better to have a permanent buff that acts as a multiple of the building would. Yes, yes, part of the challenge of the Island is space management, we all understand that. However, when specialty buildings (for example the Adventure Book Binder) have such a large footprint, and multiples are needed, it really discourages people from picking up the multiples even if having them helps their efficiency.

Pros: co-ops were fun until they weren't, Love Tree, Chocolatier, Achievements, 3x XPs from the v-cards
    Cons: inefficient timing on when flowers produced, no flowers as collectibles, not really friendly for lower level / newer players

As always, thanks for listening to feedback, and for always looking toward improving the game,

[TC] ShuttlePilot
    Guild Leader, The Creators
    Last edited by ShuttlePilot; 03-01-20 at 08:57 am.
    Guild Leader, The Creators

That which does not bore me, makes me stranger...

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    Yes, multiple buildings. So annoying. The only useful one is the Christmas market because with a 5 hour cooldown I can flip back and forth between 2 or 3 or even 4 (I use 3). That is nice and helpful and serves a purpose other than to waste space and sell island deeds. That said, I like the love tree because it's just a tree. You can put it anywhere and don't have a building just taking up any space. If I have to keep doing this awful multiple building process, more ideas like this would be welcome.

World
    Zeus
    My first event was Easter 2012. At level 31, with 3 Tavern Explorers and mostly horses for trade goods, I had to work the event every day all day (in an on and off fashion) in order to get all the things that I wanted from the merchant.

Fast forward to Valentines 2020. At level 73 with 54 Explorers and a large economy I found myself still having to work the event every day all day (in an on and off fashion) in order to get all the things that I wanted from the merchant. (And it's worth mentioning that I considerably dialed down my expectations & list before the event even started)

After playing daily for 8 years and steadily working on building my resources and scouts, on a surface level, I'm no better off than I was as a beginner when it comes to the amount of time and effort required for an event.

Somewhere in between 2012 & 2020 there was a point when events had gotten too easy and a little boring. I could rely on sending my scouts out regularly to get me all the event currency I needed to get everything I wanted. So when BB began making events a little more challenging, I welcomed the change.

However, with that being said, there needs to be an intermediate point between events being way too easy and events being punishingly brutal.

If after 8 years of steady, progressive play I have to basically take a 2 or 3 week vacation from my life and self-employment in order to enjoy some of the fruits of an event, then soon they're no longer going to be worth doing. Especially when there are more of them now than there were a few years ago. I can only speak for myself, but I don't imagine I'm the only player who feels this way.

Please BB, bring some better balancing into your event planning and execution.
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

World
    Ares
    +1, Perwyn.

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Perwyn View Post
    If after 8 years of steady, progressive play I have to basically take a 2 or 3 week vacation from my life and self-employment in order to enjoy some of the fruits of an event, then soon they're no longer going to be worth doing. Especially when there are more of them now than there were a few years ago. I can only speak for myself, but I don't imagine I'm the only player who feels this way.

Please BB, bring some better balancing into your event planning and execution.
    Pretty much this.

I can only imagine how much harder it must be for the newcomers if people like Perwyn (and myself) are simply saying "I don't know how much longer I'll keep spending my time on this.".

When Guilds start losing the veteran players and Guild Officers (as we have over the last year or two) and people are vocal about it (as we have been), then the game developer (BB) really needs to have a sit-down and decide what sort of game they are building here.

Maybe TSO can survive on the German Players so many people claim are keeping the game going, and the English-speaking players are just gravy that tags along and complains a lot. *shrug*

But I do know I've gone from spending over $120/yr to $zero because BB makes it more and more clear that they see us as ATMs, not players, and they've given up on making the game 'fun' anymore.

The only reason I'm here anymore is to give stuff away and help out the new players, because it's obvious BB is just going to keep sucking out what little fun is left for people at my level (L65+).

Which is sad, because people like Perwyn and myself, who are self-employed (I work from home as a writer) 'should' be the people BB is targeting for increased fun, because:

1) We've been here a long time, therefore have the emotional and time investments.
    2) We have a track record of spending money.
    3) We've supported the game by investing time and efforts with feedback and more.
    4) We have the flexibility to be on many more hours than casual players.

I could go on...

Reply to Thread