Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Valentine's event 2020: What advice to tell new players?

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    I'd tell them to not bother. The refill capabilities are almost nonexistent.
    This is the first event in the 8 years I've been playing this game that I have been actively disengaged. I'm sending out my 32 explorers and taking what they get, but the costs of big ticket items, and the horribly abysmal refill drops on advs makes the whole event pointless.
    It's almost like BB is trying to piss people off in hopes that they'll move to the new pay to play Settlers Alliance.

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by KingHomer View Post
    Economy advice: make sure you are set up to make recruits - bread production (bread people from prov house), brew production and bronze sword production should be your priority. Try to upgrade pop space a little too heading into event. Keep your barracks running on recruits.

Figure out which co-op (Tomb Raiders or Siege) you can run the most quickly with just recruit losses given your other available troops and gens.

Get your flower farms going for event resources. Talk to a friend or guildmate about a couple either better buffs or longer buffs (like fish steaks so the farms stay buffed for days).

Keep your farms going by running Tomb Raiders or Siege as often as your economy allows for refillers.

Keep your explores out on treasure searches. As soon as you have enough event resources, get the next explorer and send them out on treasure searches. The flowers they bring back effectively lower their cost, so the earlier you get them the better.

Save your valentine card buffs to use three at a time, swap them with a friend to get 3 hours of +200% xp, refillers, resources from adventure loot. So make sure you have the recruits available to run multiple tomb raiders or siege coops when you swap cards. These bursts of activity when you have real life time can probably provide more refillers and loot than trying to play the whole event without the 3x periods.

Open all the event doors. If you don't have time to play one day, still log in and open the door

Complete the quest chains.

Ignore decorations, etc. Focus on the explorers early in the event and unique buildings later in the event. If you think you can get enough flowers to buy the 16999 flower package with Anslem, that's a good way to obtain a solid general with in game currency (instead of gems).
    I applaud you for your attempt to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

Noble
    World
    Ares
    I'd tell them not to worry about the event item purchases this time and instead to sell what ever flowers they can get in trade to other players. On Ares server buyers are offering 500+ coins per flower, so even if you ran the three farms to empty with only the smallest buffs and no refills that would be 600 flowers which could sell for 300,000 coin which to a new player could set you up pretty well for a little while when the non-event time kicks back in.

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Trialgame View Post
    I'd tell them not to worry about the event item purchases this time and instead to sell what ever flowers they can get in trade to other players. On Ares server buyers are offering 500+ coins per flower, so even if you ran the three farms to empty with only the smallest buffs and no refills that would be 600 flowers which could sell for 300,000 coin which to a new player could set you up pretty well for a little while when the non-event time kicks back in.
    That sounds like good advice. You're probably not going to get anything at these event resource prices. I guess if you can manage to scrape enough together to get an explorer, I'd go for it, but it's not newbie friendly. It's not like my first full event where I got everything, which was not much, but an RPH, deerstalkers, gold tower, and recyclers, that's a pretty nice kick in the right direction.

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Trialgame View Post
    You definitely have a point. They shouldn't sell for coin, though. With players using the love tree, they can basically print up as much coin as they want. It will be worthless soon. I've seen a lot of nice population houses come up for cheap-cheap, and myself have been tempted just to quit trying for the official event items, and reap the harvest of all the other desperate souls. A new player could definitely make a decent show for himself just offering a hen-scratching worth of flowers for some really nice buildings they might need. (The economy is going to be moving around like crazy; the value of coin is unreliable, and any they get will eventually disappear. Plus it's easy to trade for at any time. But getting some good production or population buildings… That would be something solid on their island they would have to show for their effort.)

I also think there's absolutely nothing wrong with simply buying up all the decorations they can. Once they get into more involved play down the line, they might feel like they can't "waste" resources on trivial things. So they'll be even more attached to the few decorations they picked up as a naïve noob. And it is nice to have a few decorations on your island. I have never regretted my screaming rabbit statue. Plus on the practical side, if they picked up some nice decorations, and saved them for a few months down the road, they might be able to make some other decent trades throughout the year.

Reply to Thread