Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chat language Rules

Barney_Google

Chat language Rules

I would submit that wile English is the predominant language in America, America is a polyglot nation, by definition, a nation of immigrants.
    As such there are many "Foreign" words common in our daily use

Some use Dinero when referring to money others will greet friends with Ciao, or Hola and Buenos Dios.

What I am saying, I guess is that the chat rules concerning foreign language should reflect the reality that is America

One can't pass through Miami for instance without encountering Spanish in Signage

Any comment would be appreciated

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    I agree Barney, I don't want to see full chat in another language but common phrases and the like used in normal chat should not be a problem and V4lkirie is the only one I've ever seen have a problem with it.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Zeus1 has a very nice player community, we help new players out and cooperate on everything.

That is what games are about, having fun, not winning.

While we are doing questlines and doing adventures sometimes a MOD comes along and bans you from the game

for an absolutely ridiculous or no reason at all

Can you please stop doing that? It will improve the game a lot

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Kinda silly how we can't speak anything but English considering the US is supposed to be a cultural melting pot. We also pride ourselves on free speech. While BB is a company, it would still be nice to see the chat rules on the US server reflect the region.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    For many reasons, I agree the U.S. server should be constrained to English in global chat. This is why I support the English-only rule -- I always assumed such a regulation was implemented and enforced to keep the conversation going in English alone. I support this concept.

However, the rule seems to have morphed into a very rigid English-only rule where absolutely no non-English terms are permitted.

Considering over 50 percent of English comes directly from Latin and French, the definition of an "English word" is not always clear. For example, tonight I enjoyed Italian lasagna for dinner but I felt I could not say that word in global without violating the rule and risking a chat ban, which come with little or no warning and mind-numbing frequency. ("Lasagna" does not translate to English, I checked.) At this point, I avoid using terms such as connoisseur, hors d'oeuvres, apéritif, digestif, bon appétit and similar in global chat because I risk a chat ban, even though those words enjoy frequent use in normal English conversation. (I am a food and wine writer, please forgive all the food references.) There are other French words that are also commonly used in English conversation but I am willing to use them in global chat because either the moderators seem to accept them as English or they simply don't know the terms are actually French. This list includes such words as petite, chic, menu, silhouette and similar.

I will admit I can sometimes take my attempts at humor too far but I have tried to tone it down and behave in global chat. Further, I understand acting as a moderator is a thankless job and I do not wish to make moderators' jobs more difficult. I repeat that I support the English-only rule but I wish moderators would relax their rigid enforcement when simple non-English words and phrases are used in passing while the conversation is being conducted in English.

It's perfectly acceptable to me to have moderators keep the conversation limited to English but doing so by prohibiting every word or phrase that's not strictly English is absurd and makes global seem harshly over-policed to newcomers.

I am curious: is there a Canadian server where both English and French are accepted?

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    as for languages, I'm from Europe and think some languages are taught in highschool in the US

I always translate when I speak a foreign language so you can learn something

I will always speak English, French, Dutch, German, Jiddish and Gibberish in game chat, if that is not allowed you should give me a permaban

cheers! U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kArCRjT29w

Zeus1 has a nice community, we help out lower players and have fun together.

there are a lot of online games, but this one is very nice to play

but now and then a MOD walks in and bans all the players, that is not good for anyone

Moderation should make the game better, not worse.

/I merged your double post - BB_Trafffer
    Last edited by BB_Trafffer; 05-18-20 at 11:55 pm.

Retired Community Leader ShuttlePilot's Avatar
    World
    Zeus
    Certainly, the English only rule on the US servers has been in place since closed beta, and there was always an unwritten and/or suggested by Mods invitation to people who wish to converse in a language other than English to simply move to another global or private chat -- exactly like discussing religion and politics which also are against TOS in Global-1. The operative words being converse and discuss.

This is a classic case of the spirit of the law vs. the letter of the law. The spirit of the law or in this case, rule, is what is intended by the devs rather than the letter of the rule being enforced down to each and every word used. The simple use of an occasional phrase, greeting, or word peppered throughout conversations easily adheres to the spirit of the rule (unless someone is using it to circumvent the auto censors which is against TOS) and is miles away from conversing in a language other than English.

If I go to the German servers, I expect to be asked to converse in German, the Polish servers, Polish, etc. That being said, there are English words that do not translate into either of those languages and are no doubt used on those servers the way we would use zeitgeist, pirogi, etc here.

I fully support English in Global-1 but with common sense being the rule when it comes to interspersing foreign words and phrases. In nearly 10 years of playing (have been here since closed beta) I've never seen anyone enforce the rule for simple words and phrases -- just reminders given if someone goes off on a swearing tangent in another language, etc. That being said, I rarely go into Global-1 anymore so cannot speak to how or when the rule is being enforced these days, and would hope that common sense is being applied although it appears from the original post that perhaps that is not the case.

Solution: GM, please clarify in the official rules section if all use of foreign words is prohibited, or if conversing in foreign languages is prohibited. This will be helpful to both players and Mods.

Until then, ciao !

ShuttlePilot
    Guild Leader, The Creators
    Last edited by ShuttlePilot; 05-18-20 at 06:46 am.
    Guild Leader, The Creators

That which does not bore me, makes me stranger...

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    How do you moderate if people are speaking all different languages, unless you also have moderators who speak all different languages, which for the US presumably you will not or would just not be worth the effort? Although there are plenty of other languages spoken and no official language, English is still the predominant language with over 95% of the population speaking it.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwalben View Post
    How do you moderate if people are speaking all different languages, unless you also have moderators who speak all different languages, which for the US presumably you will not or would just not be worth the effort? Although there are plenty of other languages spoken and no official language, English is still the predominant language with over 95% of the population speaking it.
    No one is advocating multiple languages in global. I believe Barney is asking that the English-only rule be narrowly interpreted to mean all global conversation should be conducted in English.

I also support English-only in global chat. But I believe Barney is sensibly requesting that the English-only rule not be broadly interpreted to prohibit all non-English words and phrases, particularly those that enjoy widespread use in common English conversation. Currently, the English-only rule is being enforced so strictly that ordinary terms are not allowed in global English conversation because the words in question are not purely of English origin.

We appreciate the moderators' efforts and recognize that theirs is a difficult and thankless job at times. If this rule is clarified the way Barney is asking, it should make moderators' jobs a little easier and eliminate a frustration for players who frequently chat in global.

World
    Zeus
    I have no idea how strict the rule regarding English only is enforced in Global. I tend to avoid it.
    That said, English only is a good idea in principle, but a bad idea if that is interpreted as no words from any other language. How does one determine if it is an English word? The only way I can see is to pop the word into a translating tool and see what an unbiased translator comes back with. Or you look it up in a dictionary and see whether it is mentioned in a current English dictionary. If the rule is to be strictly enforced it should not be random or personal preference. Do we want a community where individuals are banned because it goes against personal preference?
    That said, the correct decision would be that "conversations" in languages other than English could result in a ban (thanks ShuttlePilot for your brilliance). "Conversations" being understood as more than three words (or whatever might be enough to cover common idioms). Otherwise, if someone should say "no problemo," "chardonnay," or "doppelganger" are fine.

"Hasta la vista, baby"
    FG
    (My closing is a widely known and much repeated quote from American movie Terminator 2. Fyi, i don't agree with the kids translation in the movie.)

Reply to Thread