Reply to Thread

Thread: Should Discussion of pandemic and weather events be allowed in global

Barney_Google

Should Discussion of pandemic and weather events be allowed in global

I am curious as to whether players feel such discussion is relevant to the game, since hurricanes, earthquake fire and tornado can effect a player, in relation to the game, not to mention the current pandemic which may be the cause of many players being absent from the game, should be allowed in Global. I'm not suggesting a wild rant, or the politics that may arise, but how it affects us, in my opinion, should not be bannable. I would like feedback on this question.

World
    Zeus
    I think limited and reasonable comments such as good luck or thank you are OK; discussions beyond that ought to be in guild chat. It's too easy to get political or have misinformation, and we don't want to go down that road.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    Global chat is not limited to game related content only. If it were then there'd be mods who'd have to ban themselves for swapping recipes with players in general chat or discussing the best way to grow vegetables. The rules explain what is not allowed, anything else goes:

"Topics such as religion and politics are deemed too inflammatory, controversial and provocative for the default global channels and forums. You will be warned to stop; if you persist, this could result in a ban."
    Additionally "The Settlers Online is a PEGI 7+ rated game."

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    I believe Gallotey and Mogger sum it up pretty well. Nothing wrong with wishing one another the best in trying times.

Community Manager
    World
    Zeus
    Let me quote BB_Saqui with whom I agree:

This is simply a case of identifying what should be discussed in public vs. what should be discuss in private. Of course, we're all well aware of the current situation; acts of great kindness and admiration like the one you mentioned are to be applauded and championed.

However - deep, persistant and smothering discussion of the morbid side of the situation does very little to help in a public setting; especially that of an online game. First, it can easily be seen as fear-mongering, which can heavily affect those who panic easily, or experience depression. Secondly, there are plenty who visit our public channels/forums who use "The Settlers Online" to escape the trials and tribulations of their lives, and to be in a safe and friendly place. Third and last - we have a great deal of the playerbase who are playing the game at a very young age, which must be respected.

If you want to discuss these things extensively, please do so only in private e.g. whisper or guild chat, not in the global channels or forum. This policy will not change.

Source

From what I could see for myself, in most cases, these discussions lead to politics and conflicts between players pretty quickly.

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney_Google View Post
    I am curious as to whether players feel such discussion is relevant to the game, since hurricanes, earthquake fire and tornado can effect a player, in relation to the game, not to mention the current pandemic which may be the cause of many players being absent from the game, should be allowed in Global. I'm not suggesting a wild rant, or the politics that may arise, but how it affects us, in my opinion, should not be bannable. I would like feedback on this question.
    I would rather not see this. Lots of other places you can talk about this or you can talk about this in your guild chat or a whisper.

Reply to Thread