Reply to Thread

Thread: Halloween Advice for new players: Younger Gemini or Ghost general?

Settler
    World
    Zeus

Halloween Advice for new players: Younger Gemini or Ghost general?

Hi everyone. I have two or three brand new players in my friend list and I keep going back and forth on what sort of advice to give them during the upcoming Halloween event. Right now they only have tavern generals (maybe Tremblebeard too), and I would expect that for Halloween, they might be in a situation where they'd be doing pretty good if they can just pick up one new general during the whole event.

Based on the preliminary information showing up in the Settlersonlinewiki.eu, it looks like there are two viable options to recommend for a brand new player: the Younger Gemini General or the Ghost General.

I am tempted to say that for a brand new player, the Ghost General might be the best recommendation, and here are my reasons:

1. It holds 215 units compared to YGG's 140 units. In my opinion, any general who holds more than 200 units should be considered a good general, and not a waste of time. Basically, you can follow any guide for a regular tavern general, but you'll be ahead of the game. And the YGG is not necessarily a universally useful general. 140 units does limit the number of troop combinations you can have, and it's a very "Hulk Smash" kind of playstyle. The Ghost general seems like it would have a more traditional and balanced kind of game play. (Although I have not tried it out on the test server to see if this is in fact the case.)

2. The +20% Unit HP, and -50% enemy accuracy might effectively put this general at par with the Veteran general. Potentially, you might need fewer defensive units and could pack it with more ranged and swift units.

3. Last Strike isn't the most desirable thing in a general, but the damage is about equal to Boris, and Flanking and Splash damage are great to have.

4. The general has One-Up, without having to book it. For a brand new player this is almost like getting two generals for the price of one. It will be useful for attacks calling for multiple waves, and nice to send on a loot spot tag, and then continue onto another adventure. It's also just good in allowing for the occasional booboo. The general also apparently recovers 4 times faster than normal.

5. 20% troop recovery. For new players without high level barracks, troop production boosts, and the capacity to churn out large numbers of weapons and beer and population, this would make a big difference.

6. It looks like it will also be 1,000 pumpkins cheaper than YGG, which might make the difference in getting another explorer, or a storehouse, or any of a bunch of other items which are also important.

So basically, there are a ton of reasons why this general would be really good for a new player.

On the other hand, if you're looking down the road, YGG is a good general to have in combination with an array of other generals. And the opportunity to get him is only once a year, outside of buying him with gems. He has the highest damage and health combination of any general in the game, which is hard to pass up. But he's not necessarily the most efficient in using troops; He's great to bully across a lot of enemy camps, but he isn't necessarily ideal for all situations.

So what do you think? If a new player might only be able to get one general out of the event, which one would you recommend, and why?

Settler
    World
    Ares
    If a new player can only get one general then I suggest a new guild!

World
    Ares
    I would think the YGG would be better, A YGG with 1 rec can clear most camps in lower level advs, there would be fewer troops to replace saving time and resources.

Settler
    World
    Ares
    the ghost general is last strike. that means he is useless as a sacrifice general. this also makes the natural 1 up a waste unless you are a person that constantly makes mistakes with attacks. i would say get the ygg and nevermind this ghost. the christmas event is 2 months away and you can get the older gemini general at that event...

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by binderberger View Post
    the ghost general is last strike. that means he is useless as a sacrifice general. this also makes the natural 1 up a waste unless you are a person that constantly makes mistakes with attacks. i would say get the ygg and nevermind this ghost. the christmas event is 2 months away and you can get the older gemini general at that event...
    I'd hardly call being able to deliver 430 troops in sack waves useless (those 430 troops having +20% HP, and going up against -50% enemy accuracy).

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    YGG!

There are enough camps he'll take out with 1R and his attack weakest with splash makes him an incredible sac general, better than two waves of Ghost since sacrificing cav to get attack weakest is not viable for many new players. Run him up against the DB final leader if you want some good math

World
    Zeus
    Using TSOFastSim, the Ghost General looks to be as good as or real close to an Old Gemini, a Major, and in a few cases Nusala & Anselm. For somebody who doesn't have a lot of generals she'd be a pretty good addition.
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

Settler
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Perwyn View Post
    Using TSOFastSim, the Ghost General looks to be as good as or real close to an Old Gemini, a Major, and in a few cases Nusala & Anselm. For somebody who doesn't have a lot of generals she'd be a pretty good addition.
    is there a new version of the fastsim that has the new generals? whats the link?

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by binderberger View Post
    is there a new version of the fastsim that has the new generals? whats the link?
    I should have said TSOSwiftSim, but anyways, here's a link. If you're not already using this sim, it's awesome!

https://forum.tsotesting.com/threads...ll=1#post53316
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    I'd got with YGG. Put Lightening slash and he does a whopping 9000 damage if he can survive the first wave. at 2k HP he can take some damage. There are some maps where I can send 5 YGGs with LS and 1r and he cleans up 99% of the camps.. especially if they have Last Strike units..

Reply to Thread