Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] Dev Diary: Halloween Event 2020

Community Manager
    World
    Zeus

[Feedback] Dev Diary: Halloween Event 2020

Please feel free to leave your thoughts and comments on the Dev Diary: Halloween Event 2020.

The original post can be found here.

Happy commenting!
    BB_Trafffer

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    Most of the seasonal adventures are duds, though it's nice to see a variety of different options, but I think Arctic Explosion should work just fine.

Scared Explorer takes too long to be very useful as an explorer, but if I can get some crystals, I'll toss him on a prolonged search once a week and see what happens.

I don't see the value in the chummy geologist.

Blacktree is an interesting idea. The pumpkin costs to acquire and upgrade these is pretty extreme with 10 of them (5 of them as production buildings). 17,250 pumpkins to get one tree to level 7. At level 1, this could be a decent alternative to a Christmas market for lower level buildings. The cost of the level 4 buff is just stupid. Level 5 buff is a nice observatory alternative/supplement. Level 6 buff, see level 4, but not as obscene, except this only produces a single crystalshard, really? I guess it seems like a good idea to upgrade at least one of the trees to level 7 just in case.

Ghost lanterns have been, I guess, fine. Much better than Christmas trees. I'll pick up some more of these.

It's nice to see the sunflower farm be purchasable by another method, but it's still too big and too slow.

Halloween general bundle for pumpkins is nice. YGG is very helpful, and it sounds like the ghost general may be useful as well. Bewitching bundle also looks good. The building bundle is pretty meh.

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    I really hope you changed/fixed the quest requiring to drop 25 treats on friend island (as it was on test) because treat is a self buff.

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    To get everything I would like from this is already a little discouraging.... there's just too much stuff really.

Granted, I don't know how much explorers will bring back, but I've pretty much eliminated trying for anything but younger Gemini, three wondrous + pumpkins to upgrade, one ghost and the bewitching bundle, and then more ghosts if they turn out useful (fingers crossed, they look good so far).

I know the long-term game suggests getting every explorer for future events, but the payback seems pretty low based on recent events.

I am open to revising my opinion, but the blacktree seems too expensive between buying them all and upgrading - Gwalben's buff review is on target. I would really have loved to see the top buff in each color tree be different so there was a strategy to picking a color and spending all those pumpkins to upgrade, or have a level 8 provide a permanent zone-wide buff while the building is on the island (like -10% general travel time for one color, -10% explorer time for a second color, +10% deposit size in another, etc).

The flipside of my opinion is that I love new stuff, so I'm looking forward to the event and another general with a different ability, there's just a big math problem coming and I'll probably come up short.

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    Honestly the blacktree is a get the free one, and get the second blue one, and upgrade the free one all the way - maybe. Getting all of them is kind of too much (and I wish the quest didn't give you a color but gave you a token you could trade for whichever color you wanted).

Lots of stuff to buy means the market for selling pumpkins should be quite lively.

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    Event seems good. I will get YGG, Laboratory, Ghost lantern.
    For new items, I'll try Blacktree, level 2, Ghost general, Bewitching Bundle.
    I like that you are providing bundles for pumpkins.

Blacktree Seed
    Nice idea but how many people are really going to set up multiple production chains?
    Given the expensive upgrades and marginal value of some of the levels, I'll only do Level 2.
    The rewards and costs should be better.
    20 grout, not 2 grout.
    1 crystal, not 1 crystal shard.
    2000 oil seed, not 22,000.

Scared Explorer
    For 4199 pumpkins, it may be worth it to have a Scared explorer doing short searches every day.
    Minimally booked with Mountain Boots:
    Short search: 22 hours
    Prolonged search: 11 days

The "small chance" to find something extraordinary is not detailed.
    Let's says it's 5% to be generous.

Chance of finding something extraordinary in 1 year:
    Short searches: 18 times.
    Prolonged searches: 1 or 2 times.

Chummy Geologist
    Wouldn't use this because I want larger deposits and Choc rewards I can get elsewhere.
    If it rewarded something unique, like Bucket of Candy or Igor or 25 Oil, I'd use it.

For coal, gold, granite, titanium, or saltpeter has 40-60%chance of rewarding Choc rabbit, praline, or arrow in twice the time of normal search, and deposits are normal size.

Sunflower farm
    Wish it was smaller. Don't have room for more.

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    Important Question:

Do the pumpkin fields stop producing on November 9, 2020 when the Removal Phase begins? Or do the fields continue producing until November 16, 2020 when the entire event is deactivated?

On one hand, the notes for Removal on Nov. 9 say: "The core mechanisms of the event will be turned off," which one might think implies that the fields go boom and dry up on that day, since they seem to be a core mechanism.

On the other hand, the notes for Deactivation on Nov. 16 refers to the conversion of "pumpkins remaining on each field." I was also looking at a post I made during the Valentines event, which worked similarly with flower farms. For Valentines, the flower farms did continue producing through the Removal phase until the very end.

Could BB please provide some clarification on this point?

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    The pumpkin fields keep producing until deactivation.
    Pumpkin fields can be buffed.
    The pumpkin fillers can be used.
    Pumpkins can be traded in TO.

For the 7 days from Removal to Deactivation, you need the following:
    Noble cemeteries: 108 pumpkins/3 cemeteries/day * 7 days = 756 pumpkins
    Common cemeteries: 27 pumpkins/3 cemeteries/day * 7 days = 189 pumpkins
    Small cemeteries: 14 pumpkins/3 cemeteries/day * 7 days = 98 pumpkins
    Total of 1043 pumpkins used after Removal until Deactivation.

I kept the fields producing after Removal last year.

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    One thing isn't clear about the trees. Will a level 7 tree produce any of the 7 items? One would hope so... but then one would hope that there were achievable goasl in an event. If you wanted all the sorts of trees, at level 7, with helper trees because not buff-able (and I may say I HATE that new trend for non-buff-able buildings. What's the point in producing buffs, if every new building can't be buffed?) then you're looking at, I suspect, more pumpkins than it's actually possible to acquire. Works out at 22K per colour, and 5 colours... hmmm yeah over 100k pumpkins and that's if you don't want to buy anything else. Really?

*sigh* Looks like another "incentive" to try to get people to spend $$... perish the thought...

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    Eerie Bundle AND Delicious Treat are locked....

As usual you forgot to increase max amount of something, i suppose this time is Archaeologist geo... lmao

Oh well... in my case the ones from pumpkins are locked, one for gems is still available, tho...
    So, you and 'patch it' by adding more bundles for gems, ok, but how about the ones for pumpkins?

very disappointing, seriously, it is i-lost-count time when you forgot about this...

Reply to Thread