Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [Feedback] macOS / 32 Bit System Announcement

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaketeeth01 View Post
    The entire brand of apple is you giving them money so they can take away your freedom.
    ...Yup. Just keep on buying more of it. Go ahead.
    I'll be here playing settlers with the rest of the world.
    No, the reality is that some of us work in environments where the people making the software we use only make Apple/Mac versions, or the Windows versions are unacceptably neutered/years behind in development hell.

I would happily work entirely in a Windows environment for simplicity and convenience, but for the foreseeable future I need either at least one Mac machine or a Mac shell to run at least three programs that don't have useful (or any) Windows versions.

So I spend most of my time in front of my 27" iMac working away, and like to play TSO in a browser when I take breaks.

BB *could* have switched to Unity six months ago, or a year ago...or two years ago. The end of Flash support has been well known for at least three years. BB has dropped the ball on a significant percentage of its userbase in many ways over the last few years. The botched transition to Unity is just one of many. It just happens to affect a larger percentage of players all at the same time, so it's more noticeable.

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by AstrumLuxLucis View Post
    No, the reality is that some of us work in environments where the people making the software we use only make Apple/Mac versions, or the Windows versions are unacceptably neutered/years behind in development hell.

I would happily work entirely in a Windows environment for simplicity and convenience, but for the foreseeable future I need either at least one Mac machine or a Mac shell to run at least three programs that don't have useful (or any) Windows versions.

So I spend most of my time in front of my 27" iMac working away, and like to play TSO in a browser when I take breaks.

BB *could* have switched to Unity six months ago, or a year ago...or two years ago. The end of Flash support has been well known for at least three years. BB has dropped the ball on a significant percentage of its userbase in many ways over the last few years. The botched transition to Unity is just one of many. It just happens to affect a larger percentage of players all at the same time, so it's more noticeable.
    This would be no problem for me if I wanted to play this game understand those circumstances. I would just buy a cheap laptop and play on there. I am surprised so many people are playing on work machines to be honest (on their 'breaks'). As someone who worked at home on company equipment for over 5 years, really surprised.

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    having more than one platform or multiple PC's certainly helps if you have them already or if you can afford to do so... but purchasing a new windows PC to login to settlers is ridiculous and fall so short of the issues that have been posted on these forums, for 2 years, for exactly this. I understand a full transition from flash to unity (or whatever they chose) will take time. BB stated last october the unity coding has been in the making for "some time", however the damage is done. some folks are without access for now 8-16+ weeks.. with 2-3 events out + mystery event? (Talk about extra salt in the wound).

I'm just going to guess they wont return plain and simple, as if this game needs more retention when chat is empty for days.

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Narasn View Post
    This would be no problem for me if I wanted to play this game understand those circumstances. I would just buy a cheap laptop and play on there. I am surprised so many people are playing on work machines to be honest (on their 'breaks'). As someone who worked at home on company equipment for over 5 years, really surprised.
    I already *am* playing on a (not cheap) laptop until BB gets their act together, but as I said, the 15" screen is a far cry from the 27" screen on my iMac. I'm playing less, and when I do I'm doing a lot less than before. TSO is certainly not worth buying another external display and rearranging the office.

I also work from home, but since I own the company there is no one to disapprove of how or when I spend my time, as long as the clients get their projects done on time.

Settler
    World
    Ares
    i run a 64 bit windows box and cant log in. cant update client... is a fix inbound? i know mac users and 32bit windows users gave up. should the rest of us also give up?

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    For those of you with a non M1 Mac and willing to spend some time ...

https://vmware.com/go/get-fusionplayer-key lets you get a free copy of Fusion Player with which you can run ...

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...dge/tools/vms/ an Edge test VM from microsoft for free ...

Select MSEdge on Win10 x64 for VMWare

Big BIG downloads, but it's basically what I'm using to cripple through Christmas and beyond ...

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by bombcar View Post
    For those of you with a non M1 Mac and willing to spend some time ...

https://vmware.com/go/get-fusionplayer-key lets you get a free copy of Fusion Player with which you can run ...

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...dge/tools/vms/ an Edge test VM from microsoft for free ...

Select MSEdge on Win10 x64 for VMWare

Big BIG downloads, but it's basically what I'm using to cripple through Christmas and beyond ...
    I've tried Fusion in the past when travelling, and it was horrible. Worse than making do on a laptop.

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by AstrumLuxLucis View Post
    I already *am* playing on a (not cheap) laptop until BB gets their act together, but as I said, the 15" screen is a far cry from the 27" screen on my iMac. I'm playing less, and when I do I'm doing a lot less than before. TSO is certainly not worth buying another external display and rearranging the office.

I also work from home, but since I own the company there is no one to disapprove of how or when I spend my time, as long as the clients get their projects done on time.
    Yes, that wasn't directed right at you, I just have heard this argument used on this forum a lot (although mostly in regards to not having administrator rights to instal stuff which I would be very much surprised if unity will accommodate that anyway) and I know some of the people using it actually do have employers.

World
    Zeus
    The world is better with out your kind.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaketeeth01 View Post
    Oh the apple and mac thing?
    Yeah.

Well, this is what ya get for buying apple. It's not bluebyte's fault.
    Don't any of you you know.
    Pay attention?
    I mean it...
    I'd guess some of the reason people use Macs is that they are office focused and also more secure than Windows. Windows is the least secure operating system out on the market, and that will never change as Microsoft doesn't wish to cut the AnitVirus (and others) companies off.

Don't get me wrong, I don't own a single Apple product and never will, due to the programs and games I run. But I also can't upgrade to Win10 because of the same reasons (not to mention that Win10 is quite a few steps backwards in regards to security, privacy, and compatibility).

Reply to Thread