Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] Roadmap Change: Unity Version

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    wow Easter now as well! it was to be up and going live back to the browser by then! wow come on man! just go live without the test and we will let you know if their is any issues OK please!

World
    Zeus

Exclamation Unity = "...the state of being united or joined as a whole."

Unity = "...the state of being united or joined as a whole."

In November of 2020, most Patrons of 'The Settlers Online' were lead to believe that they would be made whole (able to log-on and play the game) by the Xmas event. See: [ https://forum.thesettlersonline.net/...-amp-Unity-FAQ ]

Then in December 2020, 32 bit computing Patrons of 'The Settlers Online' were lead to believe that they would be made whole (able to log-on and play the game) with the new downloadable 'The Settlers Online' Client... See: [ https://forum.thesettlersonline.net/...ighlight=unity ]

Alas, this was not true either and BB and Ubisoft fessed up in January 2021. See: [ https://forum.thesettlersonline.net/threads/26218 ] This announcement also promised Mac computing Patrons of 'The Settlers Online' that they would be made whole (able to log-on and play the game) with the new 'Unity' version of 'The Settlers Online' "that will be available later, as planned" before the Easter event...

Now comes the announcement that the new 'Unity' version of 'The Settlers Online' "that will be available later, as planned" before the Easter event is also not true...! See: [ https://forum.thesettlersonline.net/...ighlight=unity ]

Not only has BB and Ubisoft repeatedly raised expectations and hope for expelled Patrons of 'The Settlers Online' that they would be made whole (able to log-on and play the game) but they have chronically lied to to them time and time again. What kind of company does this to their Patrons?

BB and Ubisoft must do better and take whatever actions that are necessary to restore access to 'The Settlers Online' for all Patrons of the game.

Anything short of actually achieving this before the next Event is totally unacceptable.

Please stop gaslighting us and either delay the next Event or fix and launch the new 'Unity' version of 'The Settlers Online' before it takes place and make an active effort to contact innocent expelled Patrons to invite them back to the game and provide them some mechanism to make them whole for what they missed out on in the mean time.

Your lack of effective solutions to provide ALL Patrons of "The Settlers Online' access to the game has diminished the game for everyone -- including those like me that have been able to continue to logon and play the game. The toll has been taken and continues to mount in its effects with the absence of loyal Patrons that have been expelled from the game through no fault of their own... ;(

DO BETTER...!

Pteris

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Pteris View Post
    Unity = "...the state of being united or joined as a whole."

In November of 2020, most Patrons of 'The Settlers Online' were lead to believe that they would be made whole (able to log-on and play the game) by the Xmas event. See: [ https://forum.thesettlersonline.net/...-amp-Unity-FAQ ]

Then in December 2020, 32 bit computing Patrons of 'The Settlers Online' were lead to believe that they would be made whole (able to log-on and play the game) with the new downloadable 'The Settlers Online' Client... See: [ https://forum.thesettlersonline.net/...ighlight=unity ]

Alas, this was not true either and BB and Ubisoft fessed up in January 2021. See: [ https://forum.thesettlersonline.net/threads/26218 ] This announcement also promised Mac computing Patrons of 'The Settlers Online' that they would be made whole (able to log-on and play the game) with the new 'Unity' version of 'The Settlers Online' "that will be available later, as planned" before the Easter event...

Now comes the announcement that the new 'Unity' version of 'The Settlers Online' "that will be available later, as planned" before the Easter event is also not true...! See: [ https://forum.thesettlersonline.net/...ighlight=unity ]

Not only has BB and Ubisoft repeatedly raised expectations and hope for expelled Patrons of 'The Settlers Online' that they would be made whole (able to log-on and play the game) but they have chronically lied to to them time and time again. What kind of company does this to their Patrons?

BB and Ubisoft must do better and take whatever actions that are necessary to restore access to 'The Settlers Online' for all Patrons of the game.

Anything short of actually achieving this before the next Event is totally unacceptable.

Please stop gaslighting us and either delay the next Event or fix and launch the new 'Unity' version of 'The Settlers Online' before it takes place and make an active effort to contact innocent expelled Patrons to invite them back to the game and provide them some mechanism to make them whole for what they missed out on in the mean time.

Your lack of effective solutions to provide ALL Patrons of "The Settlers Online' access to the game has diminished the game for everyone -- including those like me that have been able to continue to logon and play the game. The toll has been taken and continues to mount in its effects with the absence of loyal Patrons that have been expelled from the game through no fault of their own... ;(

DO BETTER...!

Pteris
    It is almost like you figure they planned or wanted this.

They haven't tested this yet. I personally am happy with their decision to wait to release until after Easter. I also don't want to see a delay in the Easter event.

The issue with macs as explained by them previously was out of their control. Also, you don't speak for me in this. I actually don't know of anyone in my guild that can't play. As well more than one person is very happy that a couple of the trade office players aren't around. Silver lining in everything for someone.

Your lack of effective solutions to provide ALL Patrons of "The Settlers Online' access to the game has diminished the game for everyone

wow come on man! just go live without the test and we will let you know if their is any issues OK please!
    no thanks, although if they are able to give people the option to use unity or not that would be completely fine with me.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    First of all, I loved playing this game and started playing it when it started on beta. I was so disappointed when I woke up one morning and it all changed in December of 2020. I could not play. I have not been able to play since the onset of all the browser changes and have not been able to successfully implement the changes to my computer and switching files to be able to even pull the game to play it. I hope this unity client/file will be easier just to log in to game and the game will load and not have to download a file then switch to other files to be able to play because that has not worked for me. I have missed the Christmas Event 2020 - Valentine's Event 2021- and any other 'fun' activity they have had and I am very perplexed over 'why' is it this hard to have to play this game? I miss my fellow guild players wondering if they were successful in implementing the new way of loading the game. This is first time I have spoke up about this but really am hoping this new Unity will be a lot easier for us to load into the game and play it.
    Lady Isabell - Umpa guild - Zeus

World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by kzar View Post
    maybe there was never any game at all.... I see players walking around like the living, unaware that they are dead...

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    Deva, Try to get in, they fixed 32bit, or they said they did. I thought that was your problem. Hope to see you soon.

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Ruairi View Post
    After all this time I still have no idea what the "Unity" version is. I'm assuming it's an engine.
    What I'd like to know is: are we going to lose this clunky client? Why have a client attached to a browser? Why not have a just a client like any other game?
    "Unity is a cross-platform game engine developed by Unity Technologies, first announced and released in June 2005"
    Unity is 15 years old now.
    Internet exists.
    Things that use unity exist. It's out there.
    Don't blame BB for your ignorance.

You know what flash is? It's an engine. It uses java as the language.
    You know what uity is? It's a 3D engine.

Do if they are both engines. What's the difference?
    Well I could explain it, and it all makes sense.
    But just the level and amount of questions you have I think I'd be wasting my time explaining the simple.
    But I'll try anyway.

See, flash no more worky. It go bad.
    Due to the fact that it runs within browser, how it runs, it is exploitable. It is a security issue.
    It's just older.
    Macromedia was once a thing. Remember that thing? Nah you are 15, you are seeking instant gratification. You've not thought about this situation I can tell.
    Well macromedia had flash. Then adobe got flash. Remember adobe acrobat? Yeah, those guy's. The ones that made the free to use PDF reader.
    Then internet got bigger and better.
    2005 unity was like "hey, we used to play games like quake and unreal. Here, have a 3d engine so you can make more games like it!"
    Unreal engine is a thing. That made unreal tournament.
    Quake engine is a thing. That made quake
    So unity engine became a thing. That was accessible to the public for programmers to make online playable games.

...and you don't know what unity is?
    You wonder why we don't just have a standalone client?
    Well as of 2018 unity has been made compatible with 25 systems.
    Because you know.
    People use different machines you see.
    Different processors.
    Different OS.
    With different security access, and compatibility issues, and whatever happens when you try to make something run on a computer.

Remember that when you make something for the public it has to work for the public.
    All of them.
    Windows 7,10, linux, MAC, X32 framework, X64 framework
    You can't make something that works on just a few and not all.
    Why?
    Pay attention! They tried that. Mac does not want to play with flash. Apple disallows compatibility.
    You can thank apple for our current downloadable client not working. BB tried.
    Due to unity being.. "more futuristic and modern" than flash. It will work.
    Unity IS the cross platform media accessible to the public.
    The trick now is. Well. Rewriting a 10 year game in a new language and adding new features while being accessible to all players.
    While they do this in a free to play game, they have to be harped on the whole time.
    Do you buy gems to support server costs? Or do you just put in your expectations?

" A true web based or Java based game would allow you to play on any platform
    Now we are reduced to Windows only ans one iteration at a time."
    Yeah. No. No.
    Again, the games are made to run on java within flash.
    Not all platforms decide to support flash.
    Not BB's fault or decision.
    You are basically saying that I should be able to buy a game on disc and put it in any game console I want, PS4, Wii, Xbox, doesn't matter.
    Do you really think.. if a game comes out on PS4 and on Xbox 360, the code is exactly the same?
    No.
    but I know, you have not thought this out. That is clear in your questioning.

that is the issue with creating a standalone downloadable client.
    Once upon a day it will decide to work.
    We've had a client. You have not been around long enough to remember?
    But here is the problem, every time there is any service pack or update of any single platform that breaks the client.
    Now development has to then fix that compatibility issue in a client update for everybody. Why?
    When a client is developed within an engine ie. flash, unity. The engine developers resolve client issues over all consoles. Leaving time for game development not client development.

The game needs a launcher. They are going with unity for a reason.
    To maintain web browser access.
    The game needs game data and a launcher. That's.. everything. You have folders and folders of game data in a folder. And then an .exe points to a client and launches an interface.
    Sure.
    They could have turned the Ubisoft launcher. But this wouldn't fix or change anything. It would still be a standalone executable that requires constant maintenance for compatibility.
    Players would still have to download and run just as they are now.
    The difference being if it ran off unity, would be accessible on MAC.
    But still on a single downloadable client not web access.
    So at least they thought that out, and are going online. You thought that out right?
    Ha I'm, just kidding. I know you haven't.

Also you are not supposed to have 2 accounts. so. Kudos to admitting to that.

So, Boo. Bunch of players have been locked out since mid dec. It's been 4 months of a forced break off a live service game.
    Now I don't know for sure, but I can take a guess.
    That time did not freeze and these people's lives have still moved for those 4 months.
    I know it sucks, I get it, I sympathize I do.
    But also.. you bought apple. So. I don't feel bad for you at all. I have been anti apple since apple was apple. But that's just me paying attention to the details of public information.
    All I'm saying is there have been times in this past decade of play. when I had taken months off.
    When I would skip an event because I can't just do more settlers.
    "absence makes the heart grow fonder" your inactive guild members should be loving the game when they get back.

Also there is cold hard truth in that the game inactivity is already at an all time low.
    It can't get slower.
    You can step out if you like.
    Fresh faced and eager ready players are still joining the game at a regular pace to fill your space.
    Really if you want to take out frustrations of a client on the developer when they are not actually factually to blame.
    you can pack your ignorance with you and go. BB won't notice, I won't notice, nobody but you cares.

I've left games. Only for more legitimate reasons.
    I've also played a game to death and then didn't touch it for 6 months so I could go back with interest.
    I do not accept anybody stating "I cannot play TSO".
    Virtual machine
    MULTOS
    There are options. If you really wanted settlers to run, you could run it.
    I have an xbox that plays atari 2600 and dos games on my TV, so don't tell me you can't run something.
    Have you. You know. Tried? Or did you just throw your hands up and blame BB for not making something for you?

Well again. I know it sounds like I am just on a bitchign rampage. lol.
    But oh the ignorance..
    Did you... read this?
    https://forum.thesettlersonline.net/...-amp-Unity-FAQ
    They gave you that link for a reason. So you could read it. So I dunno. Read it.

"After all this I still have no idea what the end-game is."

"Are we going to use the current Slim Browser during the transition, or will this be updated/reworked?
    It will be a new and updated Download Client. We will provide a MacOS installer for the client."

"Will TSO Unity support ALL browsers? Will it be required to install additional plugins?
    We will support as many browsers as possible."

It will be fine. Once updated to unity BB will only need to maintain client on their backend. Not have to worry about every contact point of launcher and sys compatibility.
    Pretty well thought out move.
    If maybe 100 players don't want to do their homework and leave. You will just be replaced by the 100's of new players that will be coming.
    You may be an individual but in terms of server traffic you are just 1 user. replicable. Your complaints hold no weight to the pressure they put on themselves to be able to reach the masses. That they do not achieve this on YOUR time scale is irrelevant.
    They don't have to do it.
    They could have just said F it and let the game be dead already.
    But they soldiered on. To be complained to anyway.
    Which for me is why I play as little online games as possible. I stick to solo play.
    Thing with multiplayer or internet is that you can never do enough. Never.
    BB could be doing a paypal payment to every user giving us each $100 USD.
    People would still log in to complain about $100 not being enough.
    So imagine. They give come back and give you $200!
    Guess what.
    You will still complain and not be happy.
    At some point you need to sit back in your high chair and be happy with what you get.

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Pteris View Post
    but they have chronically lied to to them time and time again. What kind of company does this to their Patrons?

Pteris
    What kind of company releases something incomplete and broken simply because the timeline exists?
    Any company that wants their product to be complained about.
    So you are complaining that it is coming late. But if it came on time and were broken, you would be complaining it is broken.
    So they say
    "we are letting you know we need time to fix it, so it isn't broken."
    But you don't say "thanks for making it at all. Thanks for trying to fix it. Thanks for including me in your efforts."
    You just want it faster.

but to answer your question. " but they have chronically lied to to them time and time again. What kind of company does this to their Patrons?"
    Bethesda studios does this consistently.
    But here you are blasting them for bringing hope to their patrons.
    So, if they didn't would you then complain about them not giving hope?

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    If it wasn't for the obvious benefits of an engine like unity, I would ask why not just use html5, you can script a game in it, I have seen several. The limitations are you have to page the game instead of scrolling the screen.

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Trafffer
    Unity Live-Server: Easter is just around the corner and since we don't want to interrupt the annual Easter event for an extra deployment, we won't roll out the Unity version until May. This gives us more time to test and you an undisturbed Easter event.
    I personally would prefer BB canned the event(s) and just got on with Unity. My enthusiasm for the game is .... redacted!

Reply to Thread