Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Live unity version feedback

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    What I really do not understand is why the SW Engs works so hard on "improvements" and "new content" and didn't bother to get the basics working. Your proud announcements of all the cool new features says it all.

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    I've been running performance monitors. The lags and game freezes are not within my computer.
    You may recall in the early days of the Client version there were massive lags and freezes and ultimately it was identified as a communications issue between the server and the user computers.
    BB has added more stuff flowing back and forth (explorer skills in loot mails, as one example) and most of this added information is pointless. Add to it that Unity is a larger load than the Client and things get worse.
    Then there is the absolutely stupid idea of doing frequent screen refreshes which totally overloads the communications bandwidth.

Some simple things to fix will make the other issues a little less annoying.

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultim View Post
    Its smoother but it still needs polish.

A couple of bugs noticed right away:
    - collectibles' animation is playing behind the collectible not on top of it. on web you would use higher z-index
    - spacious storehouse is showing an icon for an available upgrade even though its on lvl 6 so it cant be upgraded
    - the game keeps freezing, mainly when you open another window
    - memory usage is still high. maybe theres a memory leak?
    - the game autodecides to use 90% scaling on FullHD screen with the browser window maximized.
    - when you want to use a deposit style item, the scrollbar defaults to the lowest amount not the highest amount like previously
    - scrolling inside the star menu sometimes cause zoom in/out on your island
    - placing buffs sometimes causes weird graphical bugs
    - you cant zoom in/out as much as you used to

If anyone else has found other bugs, feel free to add them here.

The freezing is the biggest issue for me. Its unplayable this way.
    there is already a thread on this in the technical section where the bug reporting is supposed to take place plus I don't know what world you are living in if you consider this 'smoother'.

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by SN02 View Post
    I've been running performance monitors. The lags and game freezes are not within my computer.
    You may recall in the early days of the Client version there were massive lags and freezes and ultimately it was identified as a communications issue between the server and the user computers.
    BB has added more stuff flowing back and forth (explorer skills in loot mails, as one example) and most of this added information is pointless. Add to it that Unity is a larger load than the Client and things get worse.
    Then there is the absolutely stupid idea of doing frequent screen refreshes which totally overloads the communications bandwidth.

Some simple things to fix will make the other issues a little less annoying.
    the unity version has been 3 months on the test server like this - they claimed to have 'fixed' issues already in that time. I doubt there are 'simple fixes' or else they wouldn't have released this this way.

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    i spent hours sending out measly 30 expl last night .. only to find out they never went anywhere... and while doing it -- lag etc - everytime i clicked something on explorer it would pop open a building behind it -- floater - cutter -- etc -- i even MOVED the star to the ocean - nope if found a floater to open when i was tryin to click the treasure icon. >:{ tried again this morning. sent 4 adv explorers.. looked fine.. 2 min later - they're back to unsent.

tested trying to run an adventure -- just witch of the swamp.. sent gens.. cant get to the adv. i hit visit.. i get loading map initializing login que. several min.. then it reverts back to the home island. thank goodness its just a wasted wots.. guess i'm not doing the ghost quest

i have to change scaling to 200% -- but that means i cant zoom out my map any more??
    why is the font in chat ridiculously small - and in all the other windows huge??

then there's mail... i open it.. wait a min or 2 for the list of mail... some times it populates.. if i Click on any mail it stalls and gives an out of memory error. if i scroll. its like i nuked it.. it stalls out of memory.. when i click that error ok ... its frozen solid.. and i have to refresh it again.. so at this point i have pages of new mail that i cant see.

where are the lights for guildies online / friends online.. how do i know if a person has gone inactive??? when i cant even see who is online?? why do I need to have a blue box?? i dont -- i KNOW who my avatar is for pete's sake? why waste time on THAT??

SEE below -- that quest screen takes up 95% of my game real estate

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Unity is the iceberg to the Settlers Titanic.

This is an epic failure. The game is virtually unplayable.

Amongst all the problems mentioned above is the invisible copper indicator that tells you you can build a new copper mine

AT LEAST give the option to continue with the client.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame View Post
    This is unplayable. Please give us back the client for now and go back to the drawing board to figure out how to create a real unity version.
    this.

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    *grabs non existent coffee cup*

I intentionally have avoided this thread.
    Knowing it exists but just waiting.

I know it is pointless to make a growing list of issues. More things do not work than do.
    So why don't we just make a list of what works properly.
    Oh, well it loads. And after 10 minutes you can see your buildings.
    so the client at least loads your user game data, it does that.
    But anything beyond that is not going to happen. there is no functionality here.

I had measured my heartbeat off my wrist. And then proceeded to measure lag spikes off my heartbeats.
    I can pump 4.8 litres of blood during a single lag spike.
    That should tell you everything you need to know.
    That is too much blood.

But hey. I did not come here to complain. I came to complain about the complaints that led to all this complaning.
    See, Bread takes time in the oven to bake. And you can't rush it.
    It takes that much time.
    And when every day everybody is just whining and complaining oh wah, poor me, poor mac users who bought apple willingly can't play settlers.
    We need unity.
    Give us unity.
    Give it now. Today. where is unity? you said we could get it. Where is it?
    You got it now.
    Couldn't just let them take the time to finish the product. Just had to complain your way into getting it now.
    Now mac users can't play nor Pc users.
    So you get to complain about that now.

some foresight at any stage of this might have helped.

The first problem is. If these guy's have been programming in flash. Do we know they have experience in unity?
    It's a different language. Languages have limitations and tricks unique to themselves.
    This is what you get.
    did they hire consultants? Did they hire a new team?
    We don't know. It'd be nice to know that they have found a combined 50 years of unity experience to head this project instead of taking up unity 101 in 2020.
    But we don't know.

As a result of actions already done.
    3 members have taken to their first forum post in this thread about how the client is unplayable.
    That is the reverberation impact this client release decision has made.
    Somebody said to release it this week.
    Not next week, not a week ago, not in 2 months. Not after enough players have went to test server and said "yeah this will work".
    You know why we didn't test it? Because you made us start at level 1.
    so no, we did not get a good test client to attract testers.
    But we did get some gem sales if you wanna spend your money.
    How about, give me gems on my account for logging active hour in test server?
    no? no time = reward? okay. I guess I'll keep my feedback then because it is not free.

I understand the technicality of not being going back to flash client. And without reading any of the other posts, I know at least half of them will be begging to go back to old client. Some things you cannot fix.
    But you could have just ignored the whining babies and waited until the client was at least working.

Prior to my post 3 users have to make their fist post ever.
    1 user their second post ever.
    And over 15 users with less than 20 posts.
    I guess you have time to visit the forum when you can't play the game.
    In a way that "no news is good news" in some circumstances.
    You do not want to be hearing all this static within day's of client release.
    That should be indication you done did wrong.

And the problem with users, or clients. Is that once you as a company burn your reputation you often don't get it back.
    This game is already notorious for having a glitchy broken, but at least mostly working client.
    And you somehow took that reputation and made it worse. Ouch.
    Somebody over there must be sweating about how they just upset every single user in their game.
    About how the decision was made to launch the client.
    Because it didn't launch it self.
    somebody. A name. Give me a name. *pounds table*
    We want a body!
    Okay it's not that bad.
    But somebody decided, hey. The breads done.

What a half baked mess.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    I'm I the only one with a very fuzzy star menu? All icons are fuzzy. I tried playing with UI resolution but to no avail.

Very annoying for the eyes
    Guild: Fortress

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    I really can't believe you guys (BB) just put a message on the login screen acting like you had no idea that this thing was junk. You had lines and lines of people during testing telling you it was unplayable, and basically when you moved to live there were no noticeable changes. Seriously??? About done with this game. Lots of years of my life I've enjoyed this game, but this is just beyond excusable. Bring the old client back before you lose everyone that is still making some kind of attempt to play. I doubt anyone has made any serious game progress since Unity went live so revert everything, restore backups, and go back to the drawing board if you want this thing to survive. Give everyone a nice gift for the inconvenience but unless you do something like this, by the end of this week you'll be lucky to have anyone playing at all. And forget spending any money. This is a lose lose all around if you decide to stay with this junk.

Reply to Thread