Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] Change log 19/10/2021

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Number99799 View Post
    I sent 2 Vargus to a Raiding the Raiders co-op. I loaded one with the appropriate troops, moved him into position to attack. When he got there, I clicked him to send the attack, and he had no troops assigned.

The troops I had assigned to him had magically gone to the other Vargus.

How can this happen?

This is the norm with the current situation. Though BB has yet to actually admit or address then numerous serious issues in adventures, they are working on the payment system for gems right now. No update has yet fixed a single problem within the adventures.

The only recourse at this time is to use the Client... Visit the Wiki and see if you can make it work. If you can it is greatly worth it, if not... I, personally would not waste a single second in an event or even an adventure. Just saying.... the truth.
    “Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.”
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
    This is my Settler life now:

Sign in to game.
    Look for guildmates online. Apparently none are online, because no player online indicator green lights.
    Say hello in Guild Chat, and ask if anyone is online.
    Try to send trades for Guild Quest and Pathfinder.
    Unable because when I click a guildmate's or friend's avatar in order to bring up the menu, the menu still launches *below* the visibility of the screen.
    Wait around for someone/anyone to show up in Guild Chat so that I can either click their name in guild chat to launch the options menu so I can trade; or
    ask them to send the trades from their end to me.
    Check mail -- try to delete the 150 buff mails in the mailbox. Can only still delete about 7 at a time, if I try to checkbox more than that, the checks I had checked
    disappear. Spend time checking, rechecking, deleting, repeating -- only to find that *none* of the mails are deleting anyway.
    Try to pick up collectibles -- watch the pretty smoke while the clicked collectibles just sit there smoking then magically reappear after yet again another zone refresh
    Send out geos -- click, wait, click, wait, click, wait, zone refresh click wait, click wait.
    Send out scouts -- click, wait, click, wait, click, wait, zone refresh, click wait, click, wait.
    Give up on being able to send trades for quests.
    No longer even attempt adventures unless simple scenarios or an easy send Ghosts or Yggs, and those only if they will satisfy a quest.
    Run adventures for fun? -- where is the fun in them now, there is none. Zip, zilch, nada. Zero.
    Switch islands to buff guildmate -- wait wait wait wait for their island to load.
    Click buff, oh wait, it's a general not a buff, search the buffs blindly since the buffs have been replaced with generals, scouts, and geos. Take my best guess. Buff.
    Head home -- wait wait wait wait wait wait -- arrive back to my home island.
    Start to chat -- type box goes completely wonky. Zone refesh for the 038403284039438832 time.
    Finally give up, go do the NYT's xword puzzle, then go to Steam and play actual working games.

Halloween has always been my favorite event. Sadly, this will be the first year since its inception that I likely will not play. I am at the point where I am ready to permanently sleep my island, because there is absolutely zero joy in playing anymore -- just frustration and disappointment. This breaks my heart, as for the last 10+ years I have started every morning with coffee, Settlers, and dear friends.

Now I start it with coffee, angst, frustration, and the very rare occasion of blindly bumping into friends. Even the social aspect of the game has been hit hard.

I understand that expressing these frustrations will not hasten any fixes to the game, nor will it help the situation. It feels as if it is yet one more exercise in futility at this point but my purpose is to lend my voice to the other remaining loyal players'.

I was SO hoping for at the minimum the Zone Refresh fix, or something as simple as the who's online green light fix. Each round of fixes appear so non-critical that it gives one pause as to how fixes are ranked and/or escalated in order of immediacy.

This morning, for the first time ever I am considering permanently leaving the game and just moving on since it appears that there really are no substantial fixes on the horizon. Halloween will be a mess, and at this rate, Christmas doesn't look like there will be any joy either. Giving feedback, feels futile, and who in the world is glutton for punishment enough to want to play an adventure heavy event. As for the 150 short searches -- I nearly snorked my coffee, since it is not the length of the Scout searches that is the issue, it is the *time* it takes to click, wait, click, wait, click, wait...... then click each and every single loot mail because wait for it... the mail features still are not working for many of us. Or fun fact, some of us get booted out of the game (waves at Calliope_Jeyne) when they even check their mail.

Normally, I like to leave on a positive note, but this morning, frankly, I just can't find one.

Yours in lamenting this broken pile of pixels,
    ShuttlePilot
    I actually don't know why anyone who has been playing as long as you have would be bothering with the buffing right now. Surely you must have 100s of millions of resources in your star. I rarely bothered with getting others to buff me even before because it has always been more trouble than it is worth. I have the expensive buildings sleeping and either self buff the others or just use the christmas market/bakery and love tree. And even those are pretty hit and miss. I have most of my mines sleeping as well because if you had them running before you have plenty. The only geologists I send out regularly are the ones who come back with buffs and that is hardly much of a problem sending out 10 twice a day. As for explorers same thing, most of them are sitting.

I would much rather them fix those adventures before they spend more time on that mail system.

I was SO hoping for at the minimum the Zone Refresh fix, or something as simple as the who's online green light fix. Each round of fixes appear so non-critical that it gives one pause as to how fixes are ranked and/or escalated in order of immediacy.
    and fixing the adventures/generals would be a priority for me over either of those two. Although that dead time in the zone refreshes is a serious problem on adventures as well.

Community Manager
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Raubhautz View Post
    Though BB has yet to actually admit or address then numerous serious issues in adventures, they are working on the payment system for gems right now. No update has yet fixed a single problem within the adventures.
    We are aware of the problems that irritate players the most, such as zone refresh, missing "green" dot, and issues with generals in adventures. In the Community Update, we don't focus on single issues/bugs, but rather this is an informative post about what's going on. As you read this, introducing newer servers will help solve performance issues. Gamestore improvements have NO detraction from the game's development. They're handled by different people/teams altogether.

We want to fix the issues as soon as possible, but some of them are complicated and related to each other, so without other fixes/changes first, we cannot fix them. If it were as simple as it might seem, we would fix it immediately as we fully understand what you as players want from us.

The whole team is working hard, and the background work which is invisible to you and other players will show results in the near future.
    Last edited by BB_Trafffer; 10-15-21 at 04:56 am.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Trafffer View Post
    We are aware of the problems that irritate players the most, such as zone refresh, missing "green" dot, and issues with generals in adventures. In the Community Update, we don't focus on single issues/bugs, but rather this is an informative post about what's going on. As you read this, introducing newer servers will help solve performance issues. Gamestore improvements have NO detraction from the game's development. They're handled by different people/teams altogether.

We want to fix the issues as soon as possible, but some of them are complicated and related to each other, so without other fixes/changes first, we cannot fix them. If it were as simple as it might seem, we would fix it immediately as we fully understand what you as players want from us.

The whole team is working hard, and the background work which is invisible to you and other players will show results in the near future.

We know you're working hard, at least most of us do, and we appreciate it.

The problem comes down to, for me, when is the game going to be playable again?

The last update was over a month ago, and it didn't fix any of the major problems.

For some of us, this is more than a game.

We're told "the fix is coming".

There's an update coming on the 19th.

We'll see what happens then.

Again, thank you for the effort, but something needs done on an accelerated time schedule.

Veteran General
    World
    Ares

are these new servers all located in Europe? For instance, ares server is currently located in Germany, which is automatically giving people in North America latency problems even before unity.

World
    Zeus

I am not a programmer, but I am an avid gamer and have seen many games go through many various issues. I have never seen a single game go through as many issues as this game has been going through just over the past year.

It's not like the devs of this game had the cancellation of Flash dropped on them out of the blue suddenly. They had years of notice to develop and design the game on a new platform. There should have been only one alteration for the players, from the original Flash game to the new format and it should have only had minor issues to be adjusted after the testing and then even fewer after the general release.

This however is not the case. First there was the last minute login switch only a couple days before a major event (Xmas-2020), which left many people out of the event until the very end and many out permanently. Then there was the client release which left out people with certain windows versions and operating system versions (Mac/Linux). Then months later, there was the sudden and premature switch from the client to a defunked unity version which is virtually unplayable with mass amounts of players unable to even log into the game at all.

Yet with all of this, the main focus for the devs and programmers seem to be primarily on events rather than on the functionality of the game itself. Not a single event has been cancelled, only 1 event was slightly delayed. Meanwhile very little has been done to fix the playability of the game itself. Even the fixes they DID actually release, barely fixed the targeted issue and created more issues from that "fix" itself (for instance, the very first patch after the release of Unity created a login issue for a very large number of players that suddenly couldn't even log into the game that were able to log in just before that patch was created, then nothing happened to fix that result from that new patch).

Another observation is that since the release of Unity, BB has had a record number of gem sales. A years worth (or more) of gem sales in 3 months (never done before). Why is it that BB decided to hold so many gem sales when the game is virtually unplayable? Why so many gem sales when practically half of the players can't even log into the game? Why is there such a focus on gem sales while there is so many issues that needs attention? It's as if it's a going out of business sale, sell as many gems, make as much money as possible before the game disappears forever.

This game should have had massive repairs by now, it's been months since the release of Unity. The devs could have redesigned this game from scratch by now. It's not like they were creating an entire new game (unless that's been their focus rather than fixing this one). The design, the concepts, the fundamentals have all already been created, the only thing needed to be done is to switch from Flash to another format. Hundreds of other games from hundreds of other designers have made the switch and they did it seamlessly. This game should have made the switch from Flash to the new format in one switch and it should have been virtually seamless.

There is literally no excuse for any of this nonsense. 4 years of notice from Flash of the cancellation, then it's been almost a full year already since Flash has ended. If BB can't develop a new functioning format for a pre-existing game in 5 years, then how on earth did they even create this game to begin with? Did it take them 20 yrs to create the game initially?

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    there seems to be a new connection issue going on now too....I am over a day of having lost connection to server while logging in....weird

Community Manager
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Number99799 View Post
    The problem comes down to, for me, when is the game going to be playable again?
    We answered this question in 1st Community Update:

What is your honest feedback on when the players can expect to play without lag again?
    This will be improving progressively as the causes are identified, evaluated and worked on.
    A particular deadline can't be provided for having the same performance as before. We are however aware of the importance of the current performance issues and they will remain to be one of the main focus points - together with working on important “behind-the-scenes”-issues and keeping the current game flow intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Narasn View Post
    are these new servers all located in Europe? For instance, ares server is currently located in Germany, which is automatically giving people in North America latency problems even before unity.

As we get closer to the new server schedule, we'll publish all the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuous View Post

Yet with all of this, the main focus for the devs and programmers seem to be primarily on events rather than on the functionality of the game itself. Not a single event has been cancelled, only 1 event was slightly delayed. Meanwhile very little has been done to fix the playability of the game itself. Even the fixes they DID actually release, barely fixed the targeted issue and created more issues from that "fix" itself (for instance, the very first patch after the release of Unity created a login issue for a very large number of players that suddenly couldn't even log into the game that were able to log in just before that patch was created, then nothing happened to fix that result from that new patch).
    For clarification, two events have been delayed to give additional time for some fixes (Anniversary + Halloween).

When we released our temporary client, players who were using macOS, Linux, or Windows 32-bit were not able to play at all. We still decided to run the events. At the moment, everyone can play, but you will experience technical issues that are similar for everyone. There are no good decisions with events as some players would like to see drastic decisions including shutting down the game until it is fixed, and some would rather play even if it's difficult. We can't make a decision that will make both sides happy, the only way is to fix the technical issues - we are working on it, but this needs time.

If you count the number of bug fixes or just compare the performance we had right after the unity launch and now, you'll see the difference and the work we've done. With all the information we provide about "things" running in the background (newer servers, delivering the last piece of unity code, etc), I think that it is simply unfair to say that we are mainly focused on events. We had 2 updates in September and another update in October with another wave of fixes/improvements that will hit our Live servers together tomorrow.

However, I understand the reason you say this - you just don't see the most annoying issues being fixed. I mentioned the reason for this earlier.

Why so many gem sales when practically half of the players can't even log into the game? Why is there such a focus on gem sales while there is so many issues that needs attention? It's as if it's a going out of business sale, sell as many gems, make as much money as possible before the game disappears forever.
    "Half players can't even log in to the game"? Huh? We don't have any technical issues preventing anyone from logging in. If someone has a problem accessing their account, please contact our support team. Please also feel free to send me some nicknames via PM, so I'll investigate if there's anything we don't know about.

Gem sale -> it's an automatic process, scheduled a long time before you will see it in-game/website. Please remember, it's just an additional way to purchase gems, as our shop is available all the time.

Future of the game -> from our Community Update:

...Once that is done we will continue to invest into improving the game further. As stated in one of our earlier messages, our goal is not to keep the Settlers alive but to make them better than ever.

This game should have had massive repairs by now, it's been months since the release of Unity. The devs could have redesigned this game from scratch by now. It's not like they were creating an entire new game (unless that's been their focus rather than fixing this one). The design, the concepts, the fundamentals have all already been created, the only thing needed to be done is to switch from Flash to another format. Hundreds of other games from hundreds of other designers have made the switch and they did it seamlessly. This game should have made the switch from Flash to the new format in one switch and it should have been virtually seamless.
    Changing the entire game engine, from one technology to another, is not as easy as it may seem. Remember that such a process also requires a lot of background changes for all related systems and infrastructure. The final piece of Unity's code is on its way, and from then on, it'll be much easier for us to deliver the fixes you'll want to see.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    Only I will not experience technical issues similar for everybody as a growing number of players are going back to using the temporary client. Given the current (and expected after tomorrow's update based on the changelog) state of the game; they'll have a decided advantage over those of us who haven't during the Halloween Event. No where close to the even playing field you indicate.

Community Manager
    World
    Zeus
    Due to a technical issue, we have had to delay this update by one day to Wednesday, 20th of October (same times). Apologies for any inconvenience caused!

Reply to Thread