Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] An update from the “The Settlers Online” Team

Community Manager
    World
    Zeus

[Feedback] An update from the “The Settlers Online” Team

Please feel free to leave your thoughts and comments on the "An update from the “The Settlers Online” Team"

The original post can be found here.

Thank you,
    BB_Trafffer

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    It is really concerning that you have this list

We wanted to assure you that our team is committed to fixing the issues you’ve reported on various platforms, including but not limited to:

Prestigious Friend Buffs disappearing too soon
    Non-working guild member certificates
    Non-granted building licenses
    Various locked zone issues
    Performance and lag issues
    although these things are important the biggest issue is the behavior of generals in adventures and that just never seems like a priority to you. those generals are bugged, they should not be switching from the general you are working on/have targeted.

it is almost like you are prioritizing the things that affect people using the old client ahead of the things that are most affecting people using unity.

World
    Zeus
    Today I had to use three (3) 'Fairy Fire' buffs to find all the Collectables hiding behind tall buildings, etc. due to excessive Lag, 'Zone Refreshes' and having to Relog into the game numerous times just to be able to actually do something like click on a Collectable -- this is the worst I have seen so far since the switch to Unity.

By the way a new bug where mouse clicks become non-responsive, while the game is active, that requires a restart of the game has now arisen. This is separate from the chronic screen freeze-ups immediately before and during a 'Zone Refresh' -- what's next? <-- This question has been answered, the non-responsive mouse clicks are now happening to the 'Quest Book' so that clicking on a Quest does nothing and requires a restart of the game to cure...

I have given up completely on deploying Explorers even though I have a huge investment in all 189 of them! And my Geologists are not faring much better. It simply takes too much time now -- time I no longer have or am willing to waste.

I am really tired of seeing people detail problems and post them with the hope that something will be done in a timely matter to correct them (e.g. before an Event is over with) -- why bother when it doesn't seem to make any difference and more things seem to get broken than fixed as time goes on...

Perhaps that is why the number of Forum posts, responses and discussions have declined severely...?

So how long do you expect us to wait for the situation to improve significantly?

Patrons of 'The Settlers Online' have proven track records of great patience but everything has it limits...

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Narasn View Post
    although these things are important the biggest issue is the behavior of generals in adventures and that just never seems like a priority to you. those generals are bugged, they should not be switching from the general you are working on/have targeted.
    Performance/lag/zone refreshes/long load times is by far the most important issue, but also I imagine the one that will take the longest to resolve. I wouldn't care if they fixed every bug in the game until that is addressed. Not even a hint of progress. Hopefully the upcoming updates show some improvement, but I'm not going to get my hopes up because I also thought things were going to get better in September. At least the Christmas event is by design not too taxing.

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwalben View Post
    Performance/lag/zone refreshes/long load times is by far the most important issue, but also I imagine the one that will take the longest to resolve. I wouldn't care if they fixed every bug in the game until that is addressed. Not even a hint of progress. Hopefully the upcoming updates show some improvement, but I'm not going to get my hopes up because I also thought things were going to get better in September. At least the Christmas event is by design not too taxing.
    well i disagree on that - those are minor issues in comparison. This general behavior has been ongoing since the very start and they fixed all kinds of stupid stuff before that. If I had to guess the major reason people aren't using unity it would be the general switching. Now if you don't normally do adventures I guess no big deal.

It is the fact, they never seem to even recognize the buggy behavior of the generals that annoys me most - I can't help thinking they are all using the old client to play with as well.

Settler
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwalben View Post
    Performance/lag/zone refreshes/long load times is by far the most important issue
    Agreed 100%. It is all the sitting and waiting for the game to load, for explorers to finally respond, and the very annoying resending of explorers because of near-constant zone refreshes that are making the game unplayable. I think lagginess and zone refreshes are a big part of the problem with adventures also.

I've hung in here this long, hoping things would improve but am running out of patience, as a lot of players have already done. I do want to be able to continue playing this game - I used to love it - but at this point the game just feels like an annoying waste of my time. I really hope the upcoming updates will show real improvements in game playability. But given how bad this game has been for such a long time, I'm not holding my breath waiting.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    I started this game in Summer of 2012. With the exception of one hiccup a few years ago..."The Great Rollback"...this game has functioned pretty darn good, (and for that rollback, players were compensated quite well). Along the way, not everything worked 100%, as new content and features sometimes had problems, but nothing so serious that you couldn't work around a minor annoyance. Last year when they announced the end of Flash and transition to Unity, I suspected they would have a rough go of it. I never could get any of the workarounds to work for me, so I decided to set the game aside for a while and let gamedevs have the time needed to roll out Unity and fix the inevitable bugs that came with it. A few days ago, I came back, curious to see how well the game now functioned...

What an utter disappointment! I'm gone for a year and the game is now utterly unplayable. Clunky, slow, and frustrating are just a few adjectives I would use to describe the game today vs. the game I remembered. Sending explorers and geologists out is a lesson in patience equivalent to dealing with a newborn's constant poopy diapers. Zone refreshes are random and incomprehensible as to why so many are needed. Since being back for a few days, I haven't even tried to run an adventure as I am told in the chats that even the easy ones that used to take a few minutes now take hours. I can't even imagine trying to load up a dozen generals and run an Ali Baba.

So, even though I am not giving up entirely on the game, I will only check back every week or two to see if there is any real improvement. I suspect there will be little as I get the impression that Blue Byte/Ubi want to move their operations away from a browser-based game to running things on their own servers with their own clients which they can control (and make more money off of) better. More power to them. The problem is, they will always have this albatross hanging around their neck. And people will remember the promises made and not kept when it comes to The Settlers Online. A once great game with one of the best online gaming communities flushed down the toilet because they couldn't (or wouldn't) manage a software transition that should have been identified YEARS ago which would have allowed them the time to flesh out ALL possibilities for a satisfactory fix to the end of Flash.

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    It was nice to see improvements on test after the update there, I am looking forward to the live server update.

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by gracie_the_cat View Post
    It was nice to see improvements on test after the update there, I am looking forward to the live server update.
    What improvements? It is the same as normal for me except for the buggy event.

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    I dont even understand why these threads are made. you could post this monthly and it changes nothing. BB- "thoughts and prayers"

"The latter point will be a long-term effort over the next couple of months as it is a step-by-step optimization process, with some first changes being rolled out with the next release"

Thats great, I hope to see anything at this point, and ill guess it will drop with the christmas event (Crosses fingers no new issues).. but to think its now been 4+ months to drop even minor fixes, and roadmapping out past february and a 4th event? This doesn't seem like much long term-"effort" has or is being applied, parent company ubisoft, and this is the best? But hey for whats its worth, thank you so i know now to avoid this for the next 4 months.
    I'm not sure if i should be boycotting ubisoft or BB, get the sense of no one cares, no urgency, no assets being combine to work through it faster.

I feel like theres 1 person actually working on this game, not just now, but for the last 5 years, Given how little has been changed within the game itself.
    Its nice to know the events offer something new each time, but id prefer focus is better spent fixing old issues, new ones, and content creation.. rather than grifting noobs and whales with event bundles/trash/gem sales.
    pretty much these events, have ruined your own game and created more issues in itself. trees/market/PFB/workyards have all but eliminated the need to actually run adventures, and actively trade, same with explorers/geo with buffs.. and thats not saying much when the alternative is running woodcutters 3000x (or ToW/OL/Prin). nay for 2 years ive done arrow GP to clear events. real fun. (not that one can really run adv's now as is, forget about 2/3x drops).

Pretty sure the request for send all explorers has been asked for about 6 years now since savage, lucky introduction. beating a dead horse, asking for content at this time, when they have another year ahead to fix more important things lol.

One can really only enjoy so many of these event items, when you already own 200+ and dont need them, have a full island, and in a half functioning game. wont be the case for some, but id wager the people still here are in the same boat.

Reply to Thread